Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Here Comes Portland's New Orange Line
[Updated Sept. 4, 2015] Joseph Rose shares a short list of things to learn about Portland's forthcoming Orange Line, scheduled to open on September 12, connecting Portland to Milwaukie.
Included among the five factoids about the line, which will pass over the picturesque Tilikum Crossing (also known "as the first bridge in the United States to carry buses, bikes, trains, streetcars and people walking but no private cars"):
- "TriMet will test the first pay-to-enter fare gates on the Orange Line."
- "Construction of the Tilikum Crossing as part of the Orange Line will finally allow the long-truncated Central Loop line to link directly to downtown and the South Waterfront."
- Construction of the new line also included $65 million in improved bike commuting facilities.
- The Orange Line also adds additional capacity on the Yellow Line.
- New access toOregon Health & Science University, one of the largest employers in the state.