In an effort to protect employees and contain the spread of Coronavirus we will be sending out shipments one day per week. Please expect reduced shipping speeds for class materials. Thank you for your understanding.
Are you ready to take the AICP* exam?
88% of students who took Planetizen's AICP* Exam Preparation Class in 2016 passed the test and became AICP* certified.
The national pass rate for the AICP* exam is only 64%.
Over 1/3rd of all successful AICP* exam takers used our class to help them pass.
Join the thousands of students who have used the Planetizen AICP* Exam Preparation Class to prepare for the American Planning Association's AICP* exam.
The class is 100% web-based and mobile and tablet friendly. You can access anywhere you have a web browser and internet connection.
Learn on Your Schedule
All elements of the class are available at any time for viewing. You can proceed as quickly or slowly through the lessons as you need, and you can re-read, re-watch, and retake the practice tests as often as you like.
Test your knowledge
- 5 full length practice exams (170 questions each).
- Pre-test evaluation (170 questions) to help you determine your level of readiness.
- 10-30 practice questions for each topic to help you demonstrate mastery of the topic.
- Over 970 unique sample questions.
- Explanatory feedback for each practice question.
Understand the topics covered in the exam
- 6 class topics, each with a series of 15-30 minute lessons to help you organize your studies.
- Over 50 fact-filled lessons introduce a variety of topics, from History, Theory, and Law to Ethics, and Public Participation and Social Justice.
- 27 Summaries of the APA Policy Guides created by students who have prepared for the AICP* exam.
- 12+ hours of streaming video training.
- 3 hours of video specifically on the AICP* code of ethics, by ethics expert, Carol Barrett, FAICP.
- 1 hour of video on code drafting and the law by legal expert, Mark White.
- 1 hour of video on the Takings Clause by legal expert, Thomas Hawkins.
Interact with the instructor and fellow students
- Ask the instructor any questions you might have as you prepare for the exam. Questions are answered within two days.
- Discussion forums to interact with other students.
- Class facilitators and a technical support specialist are available for support.
- Read hundreds of comments and advice from students who have previously taken the exam.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
I just signed up for the AICP* Exam Prep Class. When will I be able to access the class?
If you signed up while the fall or spring term class is in session your account is active upon purchase. Your account and access information is included in your receipt. Early bird registrants will have access when the class becomes open for the term.
What if I am unable to take the AICP exam?
Your registration fee is for one term only.
We do not offer deferments or refunds if your application to sit for the exam is denied by the APA, you decide not to take exam, or for personal hardship.
If you are unsure of your application status for the exam with the APA, we advise you wait to enroll in this class since we do not offer deferments or refunds.
If you have questions about the APA's exam window, eligibility requirements and application status, please visit the American Planning Association's website for more information.
If you wish to continue your access to the class, you will have to re-register at a reduced fee for the next term.
What are the dates that the class open?
Preparing for the May Exam?
Class registration for the spring term is open from December 15th – May 15th. Class access is open starting January 15th through June 15th.
Preparing for the November Exam?
Class registration for the fall term is open from June 15th – November 15th. Class access is open from July 15th through December 15th.
Do I need Essentials Readings in Urban Planning or the Local Planning book for the AICP Prep Class?
The books are not required for the class. Planetizen offers Essential Readings in Urban Planning as an extra resource curated by former course instructor, Jennifer Evans-Cowley, PhD, AICP, that represent key concepts necessary to become a certified planner.
We also carry Local Planning: Contemporary Principles and Practice since it is considered the "Green Bible" by planners and is a valued resource when preparing for the AICP* exam.
Are the books available digitally?
We are unable to offer the books in a PDF or e-book format due to copyright restrictions from the publishers. The price of the reader reflects the cost of obtaining publishing rights from all of the titles. Many of these titles are difficult to obtain from public sources and to purchase each book individually would be very expensive.
Is the class online? How does this work?
The AICP prep class is available as an online class only. You may access the course material on your desktop computer or on mobile or tablet devices.
Am I able to access the materials or download the videos for offline use?
No, the course materials are not available offline and the videos are only available through online streaming.
Do you offer a returning student discount?
We offer a 50% discount if you are a returning student to the AICP prep class. Please contact us at [email protected] for more information.
Do you offer a group discount?
We do offer a group discounts. Please get in touch with us for details at [email protected]
Is Planetizen's AICP Exam Preparation Class affiliated with the APA?
Neither The American Planning Association nor AICP are affiliated with Planetizen or this class. The sample exams in the class are practice questions. They are not real exam questions.
Still Need Help?
Please email us at [email protected]
While preparing for the exam, it is simply not possible to study everything. The Planetizen AICP* Exam Preparation Class helps you to focus your limited time and resources by focusing the information most likely to appear on the exam.
Each topic is organized into a series of easy-to-review lessons which can be completed in approximately 20-30 minutes. This makes it easy for the busy planning professional to fit in a lesson anytime.
- Topic: How To Prepare For the AICP* Exam
- Lesson 1 - The Structure of the Exam
- Lesson 2 - The Nature of the Exam
- Lesson 3 - Comments from Previous AICP Candidates
- Lesson 4 - Before the Exam
- Lesson 5 - During the Exam
- Lesson 6 - The AICP Exam
- Lesson 7 - References
- Lesson 8 - Other Recommended Study Guides
- Lesson 9 - APA Policy Guides
- Video Training: How to Study for the Exam
- Video Training: Exam Tips
- Topic Quiz: How to Take a Quiz or Exam
- Topic: Plan Making and Implementation
- Lesson 1 - Introduction to Plan Making and Implementation
- Lesson 2 - Data Collection
- Lesson 3 - Quantitative Analysis (Statistics)
- Lesson 4 - Quantitative Analysis (Population Estimate)
- Lesson 5 - Quantitative Analysis (Economic Analysis)
- Lesson 6 - Census and Demographics
- Lesson 7 - Spatial Analysis
- Lesson 8 - Public Engagement
- Lesson 9 - Negotiation and Coalition Building
- Lesson 10 - Communication
- Lesson 11 - Visioning
- Lesson 12 - Plan Implementation Site Analysis
- Lesson 13 - Environmental Impact Analysis
- Lesson 14 - Project and Program Management
- Lesson 15 - Budgets
- Lesson 16 - Multicultural and Gender Issues
- Video Training: Population Analysis
- Video Training: Economic Analysis
- Video Training: Statistical Analysis
- Video Training: Spatial Analysis
- Video Training: Public Participation
- Video Training: Finance and Budgeting
- Video Training: Codes and Regulations
- Bonus Video Training: GIS Essentials: Projections and Map Design
- Bonus Video Training: An Overview of Regional Scenario Planning
- Bonus Video Training: Introductory Population Analysis
- Bonus Video Training: Introductory Urban Economics with Excel
- Bonus Video Training: Form-Based Codes 101: Introduction
- Bonus Video Training: Planning and Promoting Your Community Engagement Process
- Bonus Video Training: Economic Thinking for Planners: Local Government and Governance
- Topic Quiz
- Topic: Areas of Practice
- Lesson 1 - Introduction to Areas of Practice
- Lesson 2 - Fiscal Impact Analysis
- Lesson 3 - Comprehensive and Sectoral Planning
- Lesson 4 - Land Use Regulations (Subdivision)
- Lesson 5 - Land Use Regulations (Zoning)
- Lesson 6 - Sustainability Planning
- Lesson 7 - Transportation
- Lesson 8 - Infrastructure Planning
- Lesson 9 - Hazards, Mitigation and Resiliency Planning
- Lesson 10 - Natural Resources and Environmental Quality
- Lesson 11 - Energy
- Lesson 12 - Economic Development Planning
- Lesson 13 - Urban Design
- Lesson 14 - Housing
- Lesson 15 - Parks, Recreation, and Open Space
- Lesson 16 - Food Systems Planning
- Lesson 17 - Historic and Cultural Resources Planning
- Lesson 18 - Institutional Planning and Siting
- Lesson 19 - Health Planning
- Lesson 20 - Corridor Planning
- Lesson 21 - Neighborhood Planning
- Lesson 22 - Waterfront Planning
- Lesson 23 - Downtown Planning
- Video Training: Comprehensive Planning
- Video Training: Sustainability Planning
- Video Training: Food, Health, and Institutional Planning
- Video Training: Small Towns, Parks, Preservation
- Video Training: Urban Design and Housing
- Video Training: Transportation Planning
- Bonus Video Training: Introductory Housing Analysis with Excel
- Bonus Video Training: Healthy Urban Food Systems: Planning Production Facilities
- Bonus Video Training: Developing a Fact Basis for Hazard Planning
- Bonus Video Training: K-12 Master Facility Planning
- Bonus Video Training: Introduction to Healthy Communities
- Topic Quiz
- Topic: Leadership, Administration, and Management
- Lesson 1 - Introduction to Leadership, Administration and Management
- Lesson 2 - Leadership
- Lesson 3 - Managing External Relationships
- Lesson 4 - Internal Organizational Management
- Lesson 5 - Technology and Related Applications
- Video Training: Leadership, Administration, and Management
- Bonus Video Training: Managing a Planning Organization
- Bonus Video Training: Leadership in Planning
- Bonus Video Training: External Relations for Planners
- Topic: AICP Code of Ethics
- Lesson 1: Ethics Resources
- Lesson 2: Ethics Questions
- Video Training: Planning Ethics with Carol Barrett
- Video Training: Understanding the Content and Process for Determining Ethical Conduct with Carol Barrett
- Topic Quiz
- Topic: Fundamental Planning Knowledge
- Lesson 1 - Introduction to Fundamental Planning Knowledge
- Lesson 2 - History
- Lesson 3 - Application of Legal Principles
- Lesson 4 - Law
- Lesson 5 - Patterns of Urban Development
- Lesson 6 - Theories of Planning Practice
- Lesson 7 - Statutory Basis of Planning
- Video Training: Planning, History, and Settlements
- Video Training: Planning Law
- Video Training: Planning Theory and Core Values
- Video Training: Statutory Basis and Related Professions
- Bonus Video Training: Code Drafting and the Law
- Bonus Video Training: The Takings Clause
- Bonus Video Training: Procedural Due Process
- Topic Quiz
- Topic: Practice Exams and Course Evaluation
- Video Training: Questions and Answers
- Sample Exam #1 (**170 Questions)
- Sample Exam #2 (**170 Questions)
- Sample Exam #3 (**170 Questions)
- Sample Exam #4 (**170 Questions)
- Sample Exam #5 (**170 Questions)
- Class Evaluation
What People Are Saying
Emily Talen, PhD, FAICP, is Professor of Urbanism at the University of Chicago, where she teaches classes on urban planning and design. Her research is devoted to the relationship between the built environment and social equity. Her books include: New Urbanism and American Planning, Design for Diversity, Urban Design Reclaimed, City Rules, and Retrofitting Sprawl: Addressing 70 Years of Failed Urban Form. She is the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship and is a Fellow of the American Institute of Certified Planners. Her next book, to be published in 2018 by Oxford University Press, is called Neighborhood. She has a PhD in urban geography from the University of California, Santa Barbara and a master's in City & Regional Planning from Ohio State University.
* AICP is a registered trademark of the American Planning Association (APA) and the APA's Institute. Neither APA nor AICP are affiliated with Planetizen or this class.
** These are practice questions. They are not real exam questions.
Preparing for the May Exam?
Please consult the American Planning Association website for updates on May exam dates.
Class access is open starting January 15th through June 15th. Registration for the spring term is open from December 15th – May 15th.
Preparing for the November Exam?
Class access is open from July 15th through December 15th. Registration for the fall term is open from June 15th – November 15th.