Preparing for Automated Vehicles: Recommendations From NACTO
According to a press release, the National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) "released a policy statement on automated vehicles, including its recommendations for incorporating this new disruptive technology into cities’ transportation networks"
The press release "urges" stakeholders at various levels of government and in the private sector to adopt five recommendations, all quoted directly from the press release:
- Plan for fully automated vehicles, not half-measures
- Rethink our streets and expressways
- Ensure safe operation on city streets, including limiting automated vehicles to a maximum speed of 25 miles per hour
- Create data-sharing requirements for automated vehicles
- Change planning models to incorporate the expected disruptive impact of this technology
NACTO's full policy statement is available online [pdf].