Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
'Keeping it Modern' to Research Conservation Solutions
"The Getty Foundation has announced a major new conservation initiative for modern architecture," reports Jessica Gelt. The "Keeping it Modern" campaign will fund conservation work on 20th century architecture. The conservation work funded by the campaign will have the added benefit of providing research into "long-term conservation protocals" for modern buildings, which provide a unique set of little-understood conservation challenges.
The ten selected buildings will receive grants between $50,000 and $2000,000. The winners of the grants are as follows:
- Jørn Utzon’s Sydney Opera House in Australia
- Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House in Chicago
- The Ray and Charles Eames residence in Los Angeles
- Hilario Candela’s Miami Marine Stadium
- Louis Kahn’s Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla
- Alvar Aalto’s Paimio Sanatorium in Finland
- I.M. Pei’s Luce Memorial Chapel in Taiwan
- Max Berg’s Centennial Hall in Poland
- Dov Karmi’s Max Liebling House in the White City of Tel Aviv
- Le Corbusier’s apartment and studio in Paris