Lots to Plan for in the Stimulus?
• $30 billion for a smart power grid, advanced battery technology, and energy efficiency measures.
• $20 billion in tax incentives for renewable energy and energy efficiency over the next 10 years.
• A three-year extension of the production tax credit for electricity derived from wind (through 2012) and for electricity derived from biomass, geothermal, hydropower, landfill gas, waste-to-energy, and marine facilities (through 2013).
SCIENCE AND RESEARCH
• $1.6 billion for the Energy Dept.'s Office of Science, which funds research in such areas as climate science, biofuels, high-energy physics, nuclear physics, and fusion energy sciences-areas crucial to our energy future.
EDUCATION AND CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT
• $53.6 billion for a State Fiscal Stabilization Fund-$40.6 billion to local school districts, which can be used for preventing cutbacks, preventing layoffs, school modernization, and other purposes; $5 billion as bonus grants for meeting key performance measures; and $8 billion for public safety and other services.
ROADS, BRIDGES, TRANSIT, WATER
• $29 billion for modernizing roads and bridges. States must obligate at least half of the funding within 120 days.
• $8.4 billion for investments in transit.
• $8 billion for investment in high-speed rail.
• $18 billion for clean water, flood control, and environmental restoration investments."