Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Seven Items Top U.S. DOT's To-Do List for 2014
"The U.S. Department of Transportation's lead watchdog says that developing safety plans, inspecting bridges and tunnels and managing the future of air traffic technology will be among the biggest challenges facing the department in 2014," reports Ryan Holeywell.
"Inspector General Calvin Scovel's newly released list [PDF] outlines seven big challenges facing the department next year":
- Improving Federal Aviation Administration oversight
- Figuring out NextGen
- Strengthening highway, transit and pipeline safety
- Improving oversight of surface transportation spending
- Implementing expanded Federal Railroad Administration responsibilities
- Saving taxpayers money
- Modernizing and securing IT infrastructure