America's 'Most Beautiful McDonald's'?
A McDonald's built in a Georgian farmhouse in Long Island could be the chain's loveliest location, reports Veronika Bondarenko for Inman.com. "Located in Nassau County’s New Hyde Park, the property became a McDonald’s when the franchise bought it in 1985. Denton descendants sold it for commercial use around World War II and it had previously been the site of another chain called Dallas Ribs."
The 1795 Georgian farmhouse was almost razed by the company before local protests led to its landmarking in 1988. "McDonald’s agreed to undertake a million-dollar restoration and, in 1991, it opened as it currently is — a white gabled mansion with a winding portico and a grand staircase. The company’s logo is seen at the front of the restaurant and in nearby signage but, otherwise, it looks just like a mansion from early American history."
"On opening day in 1991, The New York Times reported that dozens of cars blocked traffic on the Jericho Turnpike as dozens of cars tried to get inside for an order. Today, it remains a beloved attraction for locals, visitors and photographers eager to take in the historic atmosphere even if the menu is no different from any other McDonald’s."