Happy 100th Birthday National Park Service
The National Park Service is celebrating 100 years of service today, but according to the National Park Foundation website, today's celebrations are focused on the future: "It’s about kicking off a second century of stewardship for America’s national parks and for communities across the nation."
C-SPAN will be touring National Park Service sites throughout the day, starting at 10 am EDT. American History TV (also on C-SPAN) will present live coverage from Arlington House, the Robert E. Lee Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery, to commemorate the National Park Service centennial, at 7 pm EDT.
Here are some articles from past months and years to offer some of the contemporary perspective on the role of National Park System in the culture and life of the United States.
- Months Before Turning 100, National Parks Are More Popular Than Ever
- The National Park System Welcomes the 21st Century
- On the Meaning and Value of America's National Parks
- Friday Eye Candy: Images of the 20 Most Popular National Parks in the U.S.
- The National Park Service Turns 99 Today
Finally, a video from President Obama encourages all Americans to "Find Your Park."