Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Toxic Algae Blooms, Explained
"In recent days, three pet dogs in North Carolina and another in Georgia died after swimming in water contaminated with toxic organisms," reports Stephanie De Marco to begin an explainer post into the causes of this toxic risk.
"Warm temperatures and an influx of nutrients from agricultural runoff or other sources can prompt toxic algae and bacteria to grow out of control," according to the article. One detail worth noting is that the algae isn't really algae at all, it's "cyanobacteria, bacterial cells that get their energy from photosynthesis."
As for how people can reduce the risk for themselves and their pets, the article suggests being observant, not swallowing the water, and not fishing.