Online courses in QGIS and Web Mapping begin January 17th at the University of Kentucky
University of Kentucky, Geography
Come explore the exciting world of web mapping with the New Maps Plus program at the University of Kentucky!
New Maps Plus offers completely online courses in open source mapping for the desktop (QGIS) and the web (CartoDB, Leaflet). Designed with all levels of experience in mind, the program allows students to take single courses or work towards a graduate certificate or M.Sc. degree from the University of Kentucky. With four start dates per year and ten-week terms, these courses were created with working professionals in mind.
Applications for the Winter term are due January 3, 2016 and students can choose from two courses:
- MAP 671: Introduction to New Mapping provides students with a geospatial foundation using QGIS, an open source desktop GIS. Weekly modules explore processing geographic information to produce maps, and to prepare datasets for integration into a web mapping pipeline. Check out two sample modules from this course: QGIS & CartoDB and Advanced Mapping with QGIS and CartoDB. No GIS or mapping experience required.
These same courses will be offered again starting April 10, 2016 as well as the launching of a third course:
- MAP 673: Design for Interactive Web Mapping which will instruct students in JQuery, Mapbox.js, Turf.js, D3.js, and advanced thematic vector mapping.
Come join a new era of online education for planning and local government!
Classes begin on January 17th. Applications are due on January 3rd.
Below are some sample student web maps created during this session of MAP 671: Introduction to New Mapping.
Greenhouse gas emissions using graduated symbol maps and CartoDB:
- US Carbon Dioxide Emissionsby Anna Bard
- US GHG Coal Emissions by Alyssa Davis
- US Coal Emissions by State by Lauren Oldham
- Coal and Natural Gas Fired Emissions by State by Devin Bartley
Maps of Cancer Rates, also in CartoDB:
Posted December 7, 2015
Want to see more events?
City of Fitchburg, WI
City of Culver City
Sonoma County Transportation Authority