A Public-Private Partnership Primer
Apgar and Canzoneri are bullish on public-private partnerships: "We acknowledge our bias to favor PPPs, which is built on three personal beliefs: that business is the main engine for growth and wealth creation in a market economy; that government has an essential role in ensuring legitimacy, individual opportunity, and fairness; and that the partnerships are potent vehicles for bringing the best of both sectors -public and private-to bear on the most challenging problems."
In their "P3 Manifesto" Apgar and Canzoneri describe what Public-Private Partnerships are (and aren't) and when they are useful. The authors also describe the five features of successful PPPs:
- Clear definitions and roles
- Robust, mutually beneficial business relationships
- Holistic, flexible planning and financing for the project's full life cycle
- An integrated internal and external communication plan
- A pervasive spirit of stewardship in partnership actions