Call for Freelance Planning/Technology Instructors
Planetizen is seeking experienced instructors to develop computer-based courses on a freelance basis. Instructors develop and record courses from the instructor's own computer using software provided by Planetizen. Instructors can work anytime, from any location.
- Minimum of 1 year of teaching experience (any field, any format).
- Minimum of 3 years of Planning or related experience.
- Demonstrated expertise (3+ years) with one or more topics.
- Technical proficiency with Windows OS or Mac OS.
- Access to a modern Windows 7 or Mac OS 10.5+ computer.
- Access to a webcam (minimum 320x240 resolution) connected to your computer.
- Complete fluency in English.
We are seeking instructors with experience with the following technologies or software, as applied to planning and urban design:
- Adobe Photoshop (for planning, visualization)
- Adobe Illustrator (for planning, visualization)
- American Factfinder
- Autodesk 3ds Max Design
- AutoCAD Civil/Civil 3D
- AutoCAD LT
- Cisco WebEx
- Citrix GoToWebinar
- Facebook Groups/Pages
- Google Docs (for collaborative writing/editing)
- Google Earth
- Google Maps
- GRASS GIS
- Land F/X
- LinkedIn (for public participation or networking in planning)
- Microsoft Project (managing planning projects)
- Open Geo Suite
- Open Trip Planner
- Second Life (for public participation, visualization)
- Skype (for project management)
- Twitter (used for public participation)
- Wikis (for public participation)
- Participate in an initial orientation call or Skype meeting.
- Develop a course outline in consultation with Planetizen.
- Record a screencast course of approximately 45-50 minutes, including video and audio content.
- Compensation is on a per course basis.
- Compensation ranges from $200-$1,000 per course, depending on instructor qualifications and course complexity.
- Designation as a Planetizen Courses Adjunct Instructor (2 courses), Associate Instructor (4 courses) or Master Instructor (6 courses).
- Please submit a cover letter stating your teaching and planning experience and identifying your expertise for any topics on which you'd like to create courses.
- Please submit a resume.
- Optional, but very impressive: Please include a link to a brief video or screencast of you presenting or teaching (any subject).
- Please contact Chris Steins, Planetizen Editor, [email protected], via email (strongly preferred).
Thanks for your potential interest in becoming a Planetizen Instructor.