Community Development Director
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Hiring Range: $96,068 to $120,860 annually DOE/Q plus benefits
FLSA Status: Exempt – not eligible for overtime
Qualifications: Education and/or experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Business, Public Administration or a related field (Master’s Degree preferred). The preferred candidate will have seven (7) years of related development, professional planning and/or project management experience including five (5) years of administrative and supervisory experience. Must currently possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid Arizona driver’s license. Preferred candidate must pass pre-employment drug test and background check.
Job Related and Essential Duties:
- Position reports directly to the City Manager
- Plans and directs the Community Development Department operations, projects and programs, including community planning, long range planning, case review, historic preservation, plan review, building permitting and inspections
- Effectively collaborates with the Public Works department to coordinate effective and efficient Citywide planning, development plan reviews, and other actions in the fulfillment of the director’s responsibilities
- Presents professionally at City Council meetings when relevant; is available to advise, consult and guide City Council and City Manager regarding community planning and design, building permitting and construction issues and policies
- Supports the relationship between the City of Prescott and the general public by demonstrating excellent guest service when interacting with contractors, visitors, citizens and City staff; through effective leadership, promotes City goals and exemplifies City Core Beliefs
- Coordinates, develops, implements and administers the department’s annual budget and serve as a member of the City’s management team
- Directs, coaches and trains staff, and evaluates performance; meets regularly with staff to discuss and resolve priorities, workload, resource allocation, budgets, technical issues, quality standards, and services; continuously analyzes department operations, functions and budget to determine levels of personnel, equipment, and other resources needed to provide services
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Knowledge of City organization, operations, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of general development and construction terminology
- Knowledge of basic land-use, architectural and engineering principles, practices and standards
- Knowledge of basic project management techniques for private and public building and facility development processes
- Knowledge of legal requirements for the execution of agreements, legal conveyances and financial transactions
- Knowledge of computer software, including word processing, spreadsheet, permit tracking and database applications
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and City of Prescott rules, regulations, policies, principles, practices, procedures, codes, and ordinances related to municipal/regional land use planning
- Knowledge of municipal infrastructure, building, site design, research methodology, statistical techniques and data base applications utilized in planning
- Skill in oral and written communications
- Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with contractors, associate personnel, professional groups, developers, City staff and the general public; excellent customer service a must
Physical and Visual Ability: sufficient to effectively and safely perform required duties and to safely operate required equipment and City vehicle as needed.
Hearing and Speaking Ability: sufficient to clearly, concisely and effectively communicate in person and over the telephone.
Deadline: Applications must be received by 5:00 PM, May 18, 2018.
To apply for this position please visit our website at http://cityofprescott.applicantpro.com/jobs/
(928) 777-1347 (800) 748-6205 TDD (928) 777-1100
Email:firstname.lastname@example.org EEO/M/F/V/H/D/NSE Posted: May 1, 2018
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
MAJOR BENEFITS FOR FULL-TIME REGULAR EMPLOYEES: Paid time off; ten paid holidays; employee and/or family health and life insurance; short term and long term disability; Arizona State Retirement and Social Security contributions; other optional benefits such as deferred compensation plans and additional life insurance. PROBATION: Each employee must satisfactorily serve an established probationary period. NOTE: When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an “otherwise qualified applicant” with a disability to participate in any phase of the selection process.