Long Beach, CA
Experience Level: Entry Level
Salary: 52-60,000Apply Now
Nonprofit urban design studio looking for a passionate landscape designer to become an active part in solving the challenges our clients and community stakeholders face.
ABOUT CITY FABRICK:
City Fabrick is a nonprofit, public-interest, design studio reshaping, restoring, and empowering communities through collaborative planning, policy development, and advocacy. It partners with governments, health agencies, affordable housing providers, community partners, and nonprofits, addressing environmental justice, food insecurity, open space access, active transportation and public transit, climate resiliency, housing affordability, and gentrification. We also provide free and affordable technical and creative assistance and participate as a critical member of coalitions seeking self-determination to make positive change.
City Fabrick’s cross-collaborative structure provides City Fabrick team members the ability to expand the organization’s capacity, whether planning affordable housing communities, or designing pedestrian paradise streetscapes, reinvigorate community park spaces, developing messaging for advocacy campaigns, or facilitating community workshops. This creative nimbleness goes to the core of our approach to problem solving: someone goes to an architecture firm and receives an architect’s solution; they go to a landscape architecture firm and are given a landscape design solution. City Fabrick recognizes the solution involves elevating community voices, and might be something as radical as removing a freeway, or simple as designing a multilingual flier, or as unexpected as painting surplus roadway. And it has the ability to deliver on all these solutions.
Our multidisciplinary design studio operates as a fertile environment for creative experimentation; constantly looking for ways to redefine the physical environment for people. As City Fabrick’s work includes a broad range of project types the work will require any applicant to be flexible, collaborative & resourceful. Current projects span building design, landscape design, environmental design, graphic design and communications, urban design, planning and policy development.
Under supervision of the Principal and Directors, the entry-level Landscape Designer [Designer] will work with a diverse team of designers on a wide variety of projects through all aspects of research, design, production, and construction administration. The work spans all scales and types of publicly beneficial projects, collaborating with other nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and local partners to make positive change in communities. These current projects include but are not limited to designing new parks or park enhancement, pedestrian streetscapes, landscape of affordable housing communities, and territorial-scale systems, planning urban agriculture and park systems. This position will require strong design and technical abilities in addition to communication and organizational skills.
The Designer should be passionate, enthusiastic and constantly seeking new inspiration, have an interest in cities and the influence that community engagement, design, planning, and policy development have on building community. The Designer should have a solid understanding of the dynamics of communication, from printed collateral and construction documentation to physical installations to personal contact and social media, and how to effectively use these tools to share ideas and engage residents, stakeholders, and partners to accomplish shared goals. City Fabrick expects the Designer to take an active part in solving the challenges and defining solutions with our clients and partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Engage a diverse array of project types and scale, spanning landscape design, environmental design, graphic design, urban design, and planning.
- Assist the Principal and Directors providing design and planning services with emphasis on creativity, technical proficiency and processing, quality control, and effective use of resources.
- Enthusiastically serve community interests through authentic public engagement, educational programming, and advocacy that leads to sustained community empowerment.
- Coordinate work product with clients, community partners, consultants, contractors, fabricators, and regulatory agencies to meet project objectives and requirements.
- Maintain clear records and communications, produce and coordinate work through all phases of project research, design, development, documentation, and administration
- Participate in the management of organization activity including communications, graphic standard development/maintenance, quality assurance, strategic planning and learning.
- Produce drawings and communication tools for project designs. Follow protocol on all office procedures as directed by the Principal and Directors.
- Must have Bachelor or Master Degree from an accredited Architecture or Landscape Architecture Program. Registration and road map for professional licensing is expected.
- Strong intuitive sense for design and the design process. Excellent graphic and visualization skills; must be capable of expressing design ideas quickly, with clarity and precision.
- High degree of personal motivation. Self-initiating with the ability to solve problems independently and as part of a team under the shared leadership of the Principal and Directors.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work concurrently on multiple, very(delete) different tasks and projects, in a variety of roles.
- Proficient with the latest versions of Autodesk AutoCAD, Sketch Up, Adobe Creative Suite [Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign] and Microsoft Office [Work and Excel].
- Strong verbal and writing skills to communicate with community partners, general public, clients, consultants, government agencies and colleagues. Fluency in a second language [specifically Spanish, Khmer, Vietnamese, or Tagalog] is preferred though not required.
- 0-3 years of experience working in an architecture, landscape architecture, urban design/planning organization performing duties similar to those described above.
CONTACT AND COMPENSATION:
Candidates should send their resume, cover letter and portfolio of work as PDF files or HTML to [email protected]. Please do not call to inquire. Salary would be $52-60,0000, negotiated based on experience, expertise, and skillsets. Our benefits package includes medical, dental and vision insurance; short-term and long-term disability insurance; educational stipend and sabbatical; generous paid time off and flexible work environment. City Fabrick is an equal opportunity employer and equal benefits providers.
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted September 7, 2021, 9:25 AM PDT