- Design, develops, coordinates and conducts area plans, urban design studies, design guidelines, development proposal and policy analyses affecting land use, physical facilities, zoning, and/or transportation issues.
- Reviews, and provides comments on development proposals and their impacts on existing land use, physical facilities, zoning, and/or transportation issues.
- Solves complex problems in connection with the planning of small and large-scale, development, urban design, transportation or planning projects.
- Meets with the public, local authorities, city council and plan commissioners, city staff, local and regional partner agencies, consultants and the development community.
- Provides technical assistance, information, and collaborates with local transit and transportation agencies, local planning agencies, technical work groups, and other planning policy organizations.
- Manages and coordinates projects between various city departments.
- Makes presentations to the public, local authorities and government agencies regarding urban design, development proposals, transportation issues, or existing planning initiatives.
- Research and understand regulations, policies, strategies, guidelines and precedents to guide studies, plans and initiatives.
- Professional Degree in Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and/or Transportation and Urban Planning with an urban design emphasis with 6+ years of professional experience in urban design.
- A Master's Degree in the above disciplines can substitute for three years of experience.
- Skill in operating a variety of software packages such as Adobe Creative Suites, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and software programs such as Microsoft Office, database applications and presentation software. Possess strong computer graphic skills with proficiency in AutoCAD, SketchUP, Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Expertise and a proven history in building and maintaining productive relationships.
- Demonstrated experience authoring design guidelines, area plans, site planning and/or urban design studies.
- People management and strong team leadership with ability to listen and collaborate effectively with city staff, elected officials, professional organizations, the development community, stakeholders and the public.
- Strong verbal, written and graphic communication skills.
- Collaborative and professional work ethic.
- A strong understanding of urban design and planning principles, trends, ideas and theory associated with project design and execution. Poses strong analytical capabilities and design sense.
- Ability to organize and effectively present information, interact with the public on a regular basis are essential requirements.
- Experience and comfort with public speaking and leading effective meetings and workshops.
Work samples must be submitted to be considered for the Sr. Planner position in the Urban Design sector.