Director of Neighborhood Development Services
Application Deadline: April 2, 2021 at 5pm EST.
Apply online at: www.charlottesville.gov/jobs
The City of Charlottesville, consistently ranked as one of the best cities to live in the nation, is in search of a dynamic, innovative and progressive leader with a collaborative management style who will engage employees through teamwork and motivation. The City of Charlottesville is underway with a paradigm shift in the way that it provides services to its diverse population. Recent retirements, natural attrition and newly created positions of several key leadership posts have positioned the City to be able to make a major organizational culture change in serving our community and meeting the contemporary needs of our governmental staff. The City of Charlottesville is currently recruiting leaders to fill these positions.
The Neighborhood Development Services Director will demonstrate a commitment to customer service and maintain an open door policy. Effective communication and interpersonal skills are imperative to interact effectively with and gain the respect and trust of the staff, city personnel, citizens and City Council. The candidate will effectively direct two deputy directors, set and achieve goals and monitor performance. The candidate must be politically astute and effectively able to analyze issues, gather facts and make appropriate, timely decisions. The ideal candidate must have experience and knowledge with all aspects of Planning and Development operations and a proven track record in managing a complex organization while demonstrating the ability to work with many stakeholders in a highly engaged community. Reports to the City Manager through a Deputy City Manager.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning administration or related field;
- At least five (5) years of management responsibility must be demonstrated, with a particular emphasis on municipal planning and management of a comprehensive plan, standards and design, and zoning regulations;
- (A Master's Degree may substitute for two (2) years of experience.)
- Expertise in project reporting is expected, with a good understanding of the process;
- Experience in serving as a prime spokesperson on planning and development matters, especially working with outside agencies and developers;
- Prior experience should include involvement in day-to-day development and monitoring of project-based and department level budgets, knowledge of development practice and control of project performance, development and oversight of accountability, development of long-range development forecasts;
- Strong leadership skills in building a team-oriented environment including supervisory experience, experience in the successful use of technology to enhance performance and expertise in a high level of concise, accurate communication with elected City and appointed officials and staff are imperative.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job information, including a downloadable brochure about our Community, City Government, and the position, visit our employment website listed. Please include with your online application a cover letter, resume, salary history, and at least 5 professional references. The salary will be between $100,000 and $150,000 annually. Reasonable relocation assistance will be available.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.