Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Transportation Planner I
Fairfax County, a diverse, dynamic and growing jurisdiction in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area is seeking a highly motivated and qualified planner or engineer to work across multiple disciplines in the transportation planning field. Work assignments will focus on evaluating the transportation impacts of land development applications through a review process. Desired skills and knowledge for this position include an understanding of traffic operations, multi-modal transportation planning for pedestrians, bicyclists, transit riders, and drivers as well as site-specific and small area planning and coordination. Assignments will include review of land development applications submitted to the County to identify transportation improvements needed to serve the proposed uses in coordination with county plans and policies. Completion of this task will involve interaction with applicants, county staff, VDOT, the Board of Supervisors, Planning Commission, and the public to reach workable solutions to complex challenges. Ability to evaluate traffic analyses and development plans, prepare professional reports, and speak and present at public meetings. Responsible for post zoning application approval activities which may include reviewing and analyzing site plans, transportation proffers and development conditions, and coordinating with multiple agencies to ensure implementation and compliance. Assists with the review and process of road acceptances, road discontinuances, and road vacations and abandonments.
Depending on the functional area of assignment, may perform the following tasks:
- Performs basic transportation analyses and evaluations related to transportation services and facilities, including trip generation, parking, bus service, distribution, assignment and capacity calculations;
- Assists in performing traffic demand management studies, analyses and program implementation;
- Reviews transportation and traffic operational requests and suggestions;
- Assists in the preparation of bids, RFPs, in contractor/consultant selection and in contract administration;
- Assists in conducting various phases of transportation studies to include design of work programs, field investigations, vacations and abandonments, data collections/analysis and literature search and analysis;
- Assists in assessment of the transportation impacts of development applications, including post approval activities such as proffer tracking and enforcement;
- Presents information to appropriate officials and the public;
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Depending on the functional area of assignment, must possess the following KSAs:
- Basic knowledge of the principles and methods of transportation/transit planning and analysis;
- Ability to write, proofread, edit, and rewrite documents effectively and to produce accurate final documents;
- Ability to assume progressively increased responsibility for assignments;
- Ability to manage time, competing assignments, and deadlines effectively and to apply consistently sound judgment;
- Ability to use transportation planning/analysis software, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software to prepare documents and to store, manipulate, analyze, and present information;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, county and government officials and the general public.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering, urban, regional or transportation planning, or a closely related field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
An ideal candidate will demonstrate through a detailed educational and work history to be a self-motivated, dynamic, and creative individual with a record of generating innovative context-sensitive solutions to complex challenges in collaboration with varying groups and organizations. Background in transportation planning or a related field reviewing site plans and transportation impacts of land use proposals. Experience evaluating operational improvements and multimodal system enhancements through review of traffic impact analyses. Experience coordinating with local, state, and federal government organizations as part of professional planning projects. Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong negotiation skills, and the ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines for multiple concurrent assignments. Proven capability to complete work projects independently with minimal direction.
Work is generally sedentary. However, employee may be required to do some walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items under 25 pounds in weight. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.