Urban Designer/Planner Project Assist
This position requires some experience within the planning and design profession. You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of project types in a variety of roles. You will gain valuable experience working on exciting projects to develop your research and technical capabilities. And you will have the opportunity to work directly with principals, senior planners, and project managers, as well as other teammates.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works under the guidance of senior planner, project manager, and/or principal to: conduct research; create and modify plans, diagrams, renderings, maps, drawings, reports, and presentations as directed by others; visually communicate project content; write text for project reports, presentations, and other written work products.
- Assists with preparation for public/client meetings, workshops / charrettes, and project team meetings.
- Coordinates specific tasks or deliverables with sub consultants with supervision.
- Assists senior planner/project manager to develop planning and design alternatives.
- Works on several projects or issues simultaneously.
- Works independently or in a team environment as needed.
- Attends to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind.
- Checks own work prior to review by others.
- Explain plans and concepts clearly to the public, consultants, and clients.
- Clearly and succinctly explain urban design plans and concepts to a range of audiences.
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined, practical problems.
- Coordinate tasks/deliverables with other team members and consultants with limited supervision.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor or Master’s degree in planning, urban design, architecture, or landscape architecture.
- Generally has 2-3 years of industry experience in a planning or design office.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS, and MS Office Suite required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Rhino and Revit preferred.
- General knowledge of urban planning / urban design best practices
- Ability to communicate through verbal, written, and graphic communication formats.
- A developing ability to determine the right tool for the task.
- Hand sketching skills preferred.