Better Block projects are temporary, block-level interventions that demonstrate a series of rapid prototypes. We work with the community, using their tools, knowledge, and resources, to revitalize neighborhoods. Our projects range from designing and installing short term urban interventions (adding bike lanes, pop-up shops etc.) through digital and analog fabrication methods, to activating spaces by coordinating vendors and performers. As one person among a staff of five at a young organization, the designer will play a crucial role in designing elements of each Better Block project.
Projects take place in cities across the U.S., so the position includes frequent travel and work on nights and weekends during project implementation. The position location is Oklahoma City, OK.
- Developing plans, renderings and designs for placemaking interventions, complete streets and pop-up urbanism
- Drafting plans, strategies and policies for community revitalization
- Involvement in all phases of design & documentation, including architectural design, graphic design, and construction documentation.
- Creating presentations, post-event reports and infographics
- Producing our annual best practices report
- Preparing, developing, and editing drawings and models.
- Developing proposals for new projects
- Onsite construction oversight of projects
- A playful approach to design
- An affinity for our work and an interest in experimenting
- An interest in our mission and desire to amplify our impact
- An ability to work collaboratively
- An interest in research and knowledge of design standards and best practices
- Passionate about public spaces and urbanism and willing to swing a hammer, get paint on his/her clothing. This position is very hands-on.
- College degree in urban planning, architecture, design, or landscape architecture.
- 0 – 1 plus years of experience in design
- Flexibility with work schedule and day-to-day tasks, as they may change as projects evolve.
- Design skills necessary: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, SketchUp, GIS and AutoCad (All other programs a plus)
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25 percent
- Ability to work in a startup atmosphere where projects must be executed from the ground up
To apply, email Layne@teambetterblock.com with your résumé, cover letter, design portfolio, and any other relevant materials. Email should include Designer in the subject line. No phone calls, please.