The Top Trends Shaping Place
Placemaking puts people first. It is a holistic approach based on public involvement, on citizens working to make things better. Capitalizing on communities' often overlooked assets and can-do spirit, placemaking shows how we can advance everyone's health and happiness without spending huge amounts of money.
Taking stock of our work over the past year, we noticed 10 significant trends that are redefining the world as we know it, even in a down economy. What stood out in looking over all that we accomplished in 2008 was how people can still make big changes in their community if they have the right tools.
1. Placemaking gains ground around the globe
2. Collaboration is the key to making change
3. Greenplace: How community revitalization fights climate change
4. Placemaking is essential to vibrant travel destinations
5. Libraries emerge as new town squares
6. How cities stay lively 12 months a year
7. The Power of 10 leverages community assets
8. Public markets provide a leg up in a down economy
9. The rise of community-based transportation planning
10. New developments create innovative models for destinations