Are you ready to take the AICP* exam?
88% of students who took Planetizen's AICP* Exam Preparation Class in 2014 and 2015 passed the test and became AICP* certified.
The national pass rate for the AICP* exam is only 64%.
Over 1/3rd of all successful AICP* exam takers used our class to help them pass.
Join the thousands of students who have used the Planetizen AICP* Exam Preparation Class to prepare for the American Planning Association's AICP* exam.
The class is 100% web-based and mobile and tablet friendly. You can access anywhere you have a web browser and internet connection. Includes access to Planetizen Courses for duration of term.
|Standard Class||Enhanced Class||Premium Class|
Essential Readings in Urban Planning
Contemporary Principles and Practice
Learn on Your Schedule
All elements of the class are available at any time for viewing. You can go as fast or slow through the lessons as you need. You can also retake the practice tests as much as you want.
Test your knowledge
- 4 full length practice exams (170 questions each).
- Pre-test evaluation (170 questions) to help you determine your level of readiness.
- 10-30 practice questions for each topic to help you demonstrate mastery of the topic.
- Over 970 unique sample questions.
- Explanatory feedback for each practice question.
Understand the topics covered in the exam
- 7 class topics, each with a series of 20-30 minute lessons to help you organize your studies.
- Over 45 fact-filled lessons introduce a variety of topics, from History, Theory, and Law to Ethics, and Public Participation and Social Justice.
- 24 Summaries of the APA Policy Guides created by students who have prepared for the AICP* exam.
- Access to Planetizen Courses for duration of term.
- 11+ hours of streaming video training.
- 2 hours of video specifically on the AICP* code of ethics, by ethics expert, Carol Barrett, FAICP.
- 1 hour of video on code drafting and the law by legal expert, Mark White.
- 1 hour of video on the Takings Clause by legal expert, Thomas Hawkins.
Interact with the instructor and fellow students
- Ask the instructor any questions you might have as you prepare for the exam. Questions are answered within two days.
- Discussion forums to interact with other students.
- Class facilitators and a technical support specialist are available for support.
- Read hundreds of comments and advice from students who have previously taken the exam.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
I just signed up for the AICP* Exam Prep Class. When will I be able to access the class?
If you signed up while the fall or spring term class is in session your account is active upon purchase. Your account and access information is included in your receipt. Early bird registrants will have access when the class becomes open for the term.
What if I am unable to take the AICP exam?
We do not offer deferments or refunds if your application to sit for the exam is denied by the APA or for personal hardship. If you are unsure of your application status for the exam with the APA, we advise you wait to enroll in this class since we do not offer deferments or refunds.
If you have questions about the APA's exam window, eligibility requirements and application status, please visit the American Planning Association's website for more information.
Your registration fee is for one term only. If you wish to continue your access to the class, you will have to re-register at a reduced fee for the next term.
What are the dates that the class open?
Preparing for the May Exam?
Class registration for the spring term is open from December 15th – May 15th. Class access is open starting January 15th through June 15th.
Preparing for the November Exam?
Class registration for the fall term is open from June 15th – November 15th. Class access is open from July 15th through December 15th.
Do I need Essentials Readings in Urban Planning or the Local Planning book for the AICP Prep Class?
The books are not required for the class. Planetizen offers Essential Readings in Urban Planning as an extra resource curated by our course instructor, Jennifer Evans-Cowley, PhD, AICP, that represent key concepts necessary to become a certified planner. The book contains selections from the APA’s list of recommended reading.
We also carry Local Planning: Contemporary Principles and Practice since it is considered the "Green Bible" by planners and is a valued resource when preparing for the AICP* exam.
Are the books available digitally?
We are unable to offer the books in a PDF or e-book format due to copyright restrictions from the publishers. The price of the reader reflects the cost of obtaining publishing rights from all of the titles. Many of these titles are difficult to obtain from public sources and to purchase each book individually would be very expensive.
Is the class online? How does this work?
The AICP prep class is available as an online class only. You may access the course material on your desktop computer or on mobile or tablet devices.
Am I able to access the materials or download the videos for offline use?
No, the course materials are not available offline and the videos are only available through online streaming.
Do you offer a returning student discount?
We offer a 50% discount if you are a returning student to the AICP prep class. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Do you offer a group discount?
We do offer a group discounts. Please get in touch with us for details at email@example.com.
Is Planetizen's AICP Exam Preparation Class affiliated with the APA?
Neither The American Planning Association nor AICP are affiliated with Planetizen or this class. The sample exams in the class are practice questions. They are not real exam questions.
How do I access my complimentary Planetizen Courses subscription?
To access your complimentary Planetizen Courses subscription, login at: https://courses.planetizen.com with your Planetizen (not AICP prep class) account username and password.
Still Need Help?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
While preparing for the exam, it is simply not possible to study everything. The Planetizen AICP* Exam Preparation Class helps you to focus your limited time and resources by focusing the information most likely to appear on the exam.
Each topic is organized into a series of easy-to-review lessons which can be completed in approximately 20-30 minutes. This makes it easy for the busy planning professional to fit in a lesson anytime.
- Topic: How To Prepare For the AICP* Exam
- Lesson 1: The Structure of the Exam
- Lesson 2: The Nature of the Exam
- Lesson 3: Commentary from AICP* Candidates
- Lesson 4: Before the Exam
- Lesson 5: During the Exam
- Lesson 6: The AICP* Exam
- Lesson 7: References
- Lesson 8: Other Recommended Study Guides
- Lesson 9: APA Policy Guides
- Video Training: AICP* Exam Overview and Practice Test
- Video Training: How To Study for the Exam
- Video Training: Exam Warm Up
- Video Training: Selected Reading List
- Video Training: Frequently Asked Questions
- Pretest Exam (170 questions)
- Topic: AICP Code of Ethics
- Lesson 1: Ethics Resources
- Lesson 2: Ethics Questions
- Video Training: Planning Ethics with Carol Barrett
- Quiz: AICP* Code of Ethics
- Topic: Plan Making and Implementation
- Lesson 1: Introduction
- Lesson 2: Strategic Planning and Visioning
- Lesson 3: Data Collection
- Lesson 4: Quantitative Analysis (Site Analysis)
- Lesson 5: Quantitative Analysis (Statistics)
- Lesson 6: Quantitative Analysis (Population Estimation)
- Lesson 7: Quantitative Analysis (Economic Analysis)
- Lesson 8: Census and Demographics
- Lesson 9: Information Systems
- Lesson 10: Fiscal Impact Analysis
- Lesson 11: Introduction to Plan Implementation
- Lesson 12: Environmental Impact Analysis
- Lesson 13: Budgeting
- Lesson 14: Project and Program Management
- Video Training: Plan Making
- Video Training: Plan Implementation - Part 1
- Video Training: Plan Implementation - Part 2
- Quiz: Plan Making and Implementation
- Bonus Video Training: GIS Essentials: Projections and Map Design
- Bonus Video Training: An Overview of Regional Scenario Planning
- Bonus Video Training: Introductory Population Analysis with Excel
- Bonus Video Training: Introductory Urban Economics with Excel
- Bonus Video Training: Form-Based Codes 101: Introduction
- Bonus Video Training: Economic Thinking for Planners: Local Government and Governance
- Topic: Functional Areas of Practice
- Lesson 1: Introduction
- Lesson 2: Natural Resources and Environmental Quality
- Lesson 3: Energy
- Lesson 4: Transportation
- Lesson 5: Housing
- Lesson 6: Land Use Regulations (Subdivisions)
- Lesson 7: Land Use Regulations (Zoning)
- Lesson 8: Urban Design
- Lesson 9: Hazard Mitigation and Resiliency
- Lesson 10: Infrastructure Planning
- Lesson 11: Parks and Recreation
- Lesson 12: Other Recommended Materials on Functional Topics
- Video Training: Functional Areas of Practice
- Quiz: Functional Areas of Practice
- Bonus Video Training: Healthy Urban Food Systems: Planning Production Facilities
- Bonus Video Training: Developing a Fact Basis for Hazard Planning
- Bonus Video Training: Introductory Housing Analysis with Excel
- Bonus Video Training: K-12 Master Facility Planning
- Bonus Video Training: Introduction to Healthy Communities
- Topic: Spatial Areas of Planning
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Spatial Areas of Planning
- Lesson 2: Planning at Different Scales
- Lesson 3: Corridor Planning
- Lesson 4: Neighborhood Planning
- Lesson 5: Waterfront Planning
- Lesson 6: Historic Districts
- Lesson 7: Downtown Planning
- Video Training: Spatial Areas of Planning
- Quiz: Spatial Areas of Planning
- Topic: History, Theory, and Law
- Lesson 1: Introduction to History, Theory, and Law
- Lesson 2: History
- Lesson 3: Theories of Planning Practice
- Lesson 4: Theories of Urban Development
- Lesson 5: Law
- Lesson 6: Application of Legal Principles
- Video Training: History and Theory of Planning
- Video Training: Law Review
- Quiz: History, Theory, and Law
- Bonus Video Training: Code Drafting and the Law
- Bonus Video Training: The Takings Clause
- Bonus Video Training: Procedural Due Process
- Topic 6: Public Participation and Social Justice
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Public Participation and Social Justice
- Lesson 2: Multicultural and Gender Issues
- Lesson 3: Public Participation
- Lesson 4: Negotiation and Coalition Building
- Video Training: Public Participation and Social Justice
- Quiz: Public Participation and Social Justice Quiz
- Bonus Video Training: Planning and Promoting Your Community Engagement Process
- Topic: Practice Exams and Course Evaluation
- Video Training: Questions and Answers
- Video Training: More Questions and Answers
- Sample Exam #1 (**170 Questions)
- Sample Exam #2 (**170 Questions)
- Sample Exam #3 (**170 Questions)
- Sample Exam #4 (**170 Questions)
- Course Evaluation
What People Are Saying
Jennifer Evans-Cowley, PhD, AICP, has been a member of the American Institute of Certified Planners for the last 13 years and is Vice Provost for Capital Planning and Regional Campuses at the Austin E. Knowlton School of Architecture at The Ohio State University. Dr. Evans-Cowley regularly teaches courses to prepare candidates to take the AICP* exam. Prior to becoming a professor she worked as a planner in several cities. Her research regularly appears in planning journals and she is the author of four Planning Advisory Service Reports for the American Planning Association.
* AICP is a registered trademark of the American Planning Association (APA) and the APA's Institute. Neither APA nor AICP are affiliated with Planetizen or this class.
** These are practice questions. They are not real exam questions.
Preparing for the May Exam?
Class access is open starting January 15th through June 15th. Registration for the spring term is open from December 15th – May 15th.
Preparing for the November Exam?
Class access is open from July 15th through December 15th. Registration for the fall term is open from June 15th – November 15th.