HUD Data Shows: 'Who Lives in Subsidized Housing?'
"According to the new data," writes Sturtevant, "in 2013 there were over 5.2 million HUD-subsidized housing units in the United States serving over 10 million people."
A few of the broader categories that describe the Americans living in subsidized housing, as shared by Sturtevant:
- 39 percent are families with children.
- 33 percent are seniors, age 62 and older.
- 34 percent are non-senior disabled.
- Three-quarters of households receiving assistance are extremely low income, with incomes at or below 30 percent of area median income (AMI).
- 64 percent of households receiving assistance are non-white.
Sturtevant also notes that the numbers changed very little between 2009 and 2013.