Director of Community Development
The Town of Vail is now hiring a Community Development Director to lead a talented team of professionals in areas of planning, inspection, and environment, assuring customer service and regulatory compliance. With more open space than any other community of its kind, free transit and other environmentally-sensitive services, plus an abundance of recreational, cultural and educational opportunities, Vail has become not only a great place to visit, but an even better place to live and work.
- The director of community development will serve as a visible spokesperson in the community, communicating with the public on development issues.
- In addition they will manage the changing public demands balanced against code and regulatory compliance, while providing sustained leadership and management direction to both current and long range planning for town land and property uses, environmental protection, design and plan review, and code/zoning regulations.
- The Community Development department currently consists of 4 divisions: Planning, Building Inspection, Environmental Sustainability, and Administration. The town is exploring a change in the organizational structure whereby the Environmental Sustainability division may be relocated out of the Community Development Department.
- Internally the Community Development Director will actively participate on the Town Manager’s Senior Leadership Team, and bring professional insights and an overall desire to continually improve our community.
- Externally, he/she will assist the Town Council in policy formulation, and also provide direct assistance to appointed board and commission members, contractors, architects, and local, county and state government officials.
When asked, most of our employees say that working for the Town of Vail feels like family. Our values-based culture is nurtured by the employees’ strong desire to foster teamwork, take ownership in Vail’s future and an overall pride for serving their community. Let’s not forget that our efforts not only benefit the community but also allow us to enjoy the spectacular amenities and culture in the Vail Valley which we call home! To find out more about our community, please visit our website and click on Vail Information.
The Town of Vail offers an excellent benefits and compensation package for our full-time employees. This includes health and dental coverage, town-funded retirement (including an 11% - 16% contribution from the town), 457 pre-tax savings plan, life/survivor insurance, tennis pass, golf pass and other ski pass/wellness benefits.
What’s more, the town offers many other benefits to help employees make Vail their “home” including employee housing options, home buyer/renter assistance programs, day care assistance, education reimbursements, professional development opportunities and much, much more.