Senior Transportation Planner
UrbanTrans North America
Experience Level: Mid-Level
AICP Certification: AICP Preferred
Salary: $65,000 - $85,000 per yearApply Now
Job Location: Denver, CO or Atlanta, GA or Los Angeles, CA
UrbanTrans North America is a woman owned transportation consulting firm with offices in Atlanta, GA; Denver, CO; Los Angeles, CA; and Toronto, ON.
UrbanTrans specializes in innovative transportation solutions with a focus on multi-modal transportation planning, transportation demand management (TDM) programs, shared-use mobility, strategic planning, stakeholder outreach, marketing services, and TDM program implementation and evaluation. Our mission is to create sustainable environments by developing and advancing innovative transportation solutions. We believe that increasing the availability and viability of convenient travel choices for all travelers benefits communities, employers, developers, and citizens by reducing transportation infrastructure spending, alleviating congestion, and improving air quality. Learn more about us at www.urbantrans.com.
UrbanTrans provides planning services to a diverse clientele including local, regional, and state governments; developers; property managers; non-profits; and large employers. The successful planning candidate will support a broad range of transportation-related planning efforts, strategy development, evaluation, and research.
The senior planner will work on the following types of projects:
Supporting and project managing TDM plans or related transportation and mobility plans, projects, and research tasks (approximately 60% of time)
- Often includes regional and local plans that focus on mobility broadly or TDM specifically; site-specific plans to reduce vehicle trips and parking demand; and plans to improve access to transit and manage the use of shared-mobility service.
Supporting transportation management associations (TMAs) that are managed or supported by UrbanTrans (approximately 30% of time)
- Typically includes working closely with the TMA program managers on survey development and analysis for program development and evaluation purposes, GIS mapping, and development of TDM recommendations. May also include site visits and field work.
- TMA support usually includes a variety of related transportation planning work. In the past, the senior planner has worked on first/last mile projects, shuttle assistance, shared-use mobility pilot programs, and research on various TDM and mobility topics.
Internal projects/tasks and business development (approximately 10% of time)
The senior planner will perform the following activities:
- Develop tools and surveys to analyze the effectiveness of transportation programs and services
- Analyze data using Excel, Microsoft Access, and other analysis tools
- Develop maps and analyze geospatial data using ArcMap
- Conduct best practices research on mobility planning, policies, and programs
- Develop tools and procedures to collect pertinent input from stakeholder groups for the purpose of aiding the development of transportation plans and recommendations
- Collect and analyze data to develop recommendations that improve mobility for all community members and decrease use of single occupancy vehicles
- Review and understand legislative/land use requirements as they pertain to transportation planning and assist clients with associated compliance
- Write planning reports and studies that summarize research and recommendations
- Create and conduct presentations
- Manage project tasks, timelines, and budgets
- Interact with clients and develop and maintain client relationships
- Support proposal development with scope writing, budgeting, timelines, and general assembly
- Support implementation of and provide input to departmental strategic plans and vision
This role will be best suited for somebody who:
- Likes working collaboratively with colleagues, clients, and partner firms
- Is flexible and able to accommodate potential last-minute requests
- Genuinely enjoys crunching numbers
- Is self-motivated and likes to solve problems strategically
- Likes the variety of working on several different projects at a time and is able to prioritize
- Wants to positively affect the community, region, and environment
- Computer skills including knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office applications, database management, and GIS
- Data analysis and statistics skills
- Ability to translate complex data into easy to understand reports, maps, and presentations
- Ability to present recommendations using persuasive language
- Ability to deliver oral presentations in an engaging manner
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s degree in urban planning or related field and four or more years of full-time professional experience related to transportation planning
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning or a related field and six or more years of full-time professional experience related to transportation planning
Desired Knowledge and Experience:
- Knowledge of planning principles and practices
- Knowledge of the sustainable transportation industry including TDM, shared use mobility, and first and final mile planning
- Experience managing small to medium sized projects
- Experience developing and analyzing surveys and performing other quantitative data analysis
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted September 21, 2021, 9:09 AM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research