Geospatial Analyst I
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
Houston (Clear Lake), TX
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience, education, skills, and responsibilities
Do you want to use your experience to help communities to plan for better, more resilient futures? Are you committed to meaningful public engagement and participatory GIS? Are you looking for an opportunity to collaborate with others to build next generation planning technologies?
We are a mission driven, university-based program directly helping communities work through and plan for their environmental and development challenges. With innovative technology, facilitation, and education, our CHARM approach puts dialogue and data-driven insights at the forefront of our work with community stakeholders and elected leadership. Over the last decade, our planning program has grown from a small technology pilot project to become a model for community planning adopted by state and federal agencies. We are now undertaking a significant multi-year investment to build next generation tools that support collaborative community planning around the pressing resiliency issues of today and tomorrow.
You will join small, hardworking, and motivated teams to provide ever more meaningful planning solutions to the communities we serve. Working with innovators and problem solvers, you will have opportunities to grow professionally, develop projects, and face on-the-ground challenges in partnership with communities. Our program enjoys a tight-knit and fun office culture, and we offer a highly competitive benefits package, including paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave, very generous medical insurance, and employer contributions to your retirement savings.
Position will be open until filled. Interviews will be scheduled on an ongoing basis.
We are seeking an experienced GIS professional, quick learner, and someone who thrives on applying GIS to real world challenges our communities face. Your GIS efforts will support the ability of communities to plan for sustainable development, conserve resources, and reduce the risk from natural hazards. The hire will join our urban planning-GIS team to support the creation of highly localized, detailed participatory GIS tools and data visualizations for community leaders and stakeholders across Texas and beyond. By joining us, you will work as part of a team to shape and improve the CHARM platform though the development and application of new data sets, new mapping exercises, and new analytical tools. The hire will be working to enhance our data library and its quality, assist with spinning up new interactive CHARM models in GIS, and developing solutions to streamline geoprocessing workflows. You should enjoy being part of a team whose goals are to directly assist communities. The hire will work simultaneously on multiple projects and able to make sound independent decisions within established program guidelines.
- 3+ years related experience;
- Knowledge and experience with participatory GIS methods and applications;
- Qualified candidates will apply strong skills in advanced ArcGIS tools and methods, including but not limited to ESRI, ArcMap, ArcPro, AGOL, Access, MS SQL, Microsoft Office, or equivalent is preferred;
- The preferred candidate will have a master’s degree in geography, planning, engineering, environmental science, information systems/technology or allied discipline;
- Any experience with CommunityViz software is valued but not required;
- Experience working with mapping data of all types, at all scales;
- We expect you to quickly interpret data formats, attributes, their properties, and recognize opportunities to apply spatial data in projects;
- Knowledge of data source methods, projections, scale, domains, and definitions is requisite for being effective in this position;
- Bring a high level of organization in all aspects of GIS and project work;
- Strong communication and writing skills are required;
- Subject matter knowledge of community planning, land use, hydrology, natural resources, natural hazards, or disaster management is highly beneficial;
- Hire must be able to occasionally travel overnight as part of the team for project work and planning meetings.
Please visit our website for information on how to apply.
Texas A&M AgriLife is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted September 2, 2021, 1:12 PM PDT