This class is the third level in a five-level Planning Series devoted to paraprofessional and professional support of municipal planning for a variety of operations and functions including strategic planning, comprehensive planning, land use, and operational planning. Incumbents provide professional journey-level planning work in the Transportation/Transit field.
Senior Planner is a position within the City of Raleigh Transportation Department -Transit Division. This position provides advanced level professional transportation and land use planning work. Senior Planner is considered a subject matter expert, providing consultation to other planning staff and to management. As assigned, this position may serve as lead staff on various planning initiatives and be responsible for coordination of complex planning projects. Ideal candidates for this role will value innovative and collaborative approaches to providing public services, appreciate and thrive in a dynamic and constantly evolving work environment.
The Senior Planner will be responsible for various aspects of long-term transportation and land use planning for ensuring the orderly, strategic and cost-effective development of the Wake County Transit Plan Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) program and associated projects. This position will work on engaging with various stakeholders and the public on planning issues and coordination; will serve as Transit Division representative on committees and work groups as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- This class specification represents only the core areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the needs of the Department.
- Provides program and/or project management, planning and analytical support in area of assignment.
- Provides consulting and advanced technical support related to assigned program, project or planning function; participates in the development of goals and objectives; serves as technical representative and consultant providing information and solutions to address issues and needs; monitors and ensures compliance with applicable policies, plans, requirements and processes.
- Performs research of best practices, industry standards and community needs; analyzes a variety of data and information; develops and presents program/project/plan recommendations; provides direction and support in implementing processes, programs, projects and/or procedures.
- Coordinates, attends and facilitates meetings; prepares agendas and technical materials; reviews activity status, timelines and resource allocation; monitors and evaluates consultant work; prioritizes and schedules work and activities.
- Prepares and presents planning and development-related reports and technical program information to City Council, Boards, Commissions, and/or internal and external stakeholders and groups; provides technical consultation and serves as a liaison by providing information and responding to requests.
- Identifies, develops, implement and maintains processes and practices that encourage, support and promote effective, comprehensive and meaningful citizen engagement.
- Assists in the development of long-range and strategic planning; participates in budget development, preparation, and administration.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned