Bloomberg Associates is an international consulting service founded by former New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg as a philanthropic venture. We provide pro-bono services to mayors to help city governments improve the quality of life of their citizens. Although we are a philanthropic enterprise, we function and work as a private-sector management consulting firm.
Directed by a team of globally recognized experts and industry leaders, Bloomberg Associates works to improve urban environments by collaborating with cities to develop actionable best practices, build consensus and foster key relationships. With experience in both the public and private sector, the Bloomberg Associates team is well-equipped to undertake any short or long-term municipal challenge. Through its guidance and mentorship, Bloomberg Associates delivers actionable insights and plans across multiple disciplines. For each City engagement, Bloomberg Associates offers expertise across eight disciplines:
- Social Services
- Digital Strategies
- Medial & Tech
- Municipal Integrity & Transparency
- Cultural Assets Management
- Marketing & Tourism
- Urban Planning
Our Urban Planning team serves as a strategic advisor to cities as they endeavor to create a thriving public realm, high-quality open spaces, lively and safe streets, and a thoughtful built environment, and confront complex land use and demographic challenges. The team provides mentorship and direct consulting to mayors and their senior leaders in City Planning, Housing, Public Space, and in related fields to help achieve key goals.
We are looking for Project Manager to be an integral member of the team to conceptualize, develop, and lead a broad range of projects relating to the scope of urban planning inclusive of, but not limited to: public realm transformation, community engagement and urban economic development.
In this role you will use your practical experience to review, analyze and craft recommendations around land use and site analysis, neighborhood revitalization and public open space design for our client cities.
You will serve as a core member of the Urban Planning team, working in close collaboration with your fellow teammates and colleagues across the organization to provide innovative, high quality advisory services and support to client cities.
- Conduct in-depth land use and site analysis, from both on-the-ground and desk-based analysis and formulate strategic conclusions/ideas
- Diagnose physical and social challenges and opportunities of sites, neighborhoods and districts and formulate strategic recommendations
- Assess physical and spatial assets and challenges and identify relevant solutions in the areas of waterfront revitalization, vacant and underutilized land, etc
- Evaluate and advise on land use approval processes
- Analyze development patterns, density, land use projections and demographic trends
- Design policies that support neighborhood revitalization
- Propose strategies for inclusive community engagement
- Develop public-private partnerships
- Understand underlying economic conditions and market forces
- Craft strategies relating to equity and housing affordability issues
- Synthesize findings and write effective communications in the form of engagement proposals, graphics, briefings, PowerPoint presentations, memos and reports for a variety of audiences
- Organize and lead calls, meetings, events and workshops with clients, partners, collaborators and other critical stakeholders
- Work in partnership with other colleagues on new and/or ongoing program initiatives for our multiple client cities across the world
We seek dedicated, curious individuals with outstanding research, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Other pre-requisite qualifications for this role include:
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or a closely related degree
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive working experience in urban planning, or a related field
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders, including government officials and administrations, in the areas of urban design, master planning and public open space transformation
- Demonstrated understanding of urban planning related processes typical within cities (land use review, real estate development processes, etc.)
- Ability to diagnose public open space proposals and provide recommendations for both large and small intervention to improve user experience
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to independently coordinate and lead multiple projects simultaneously with a focus on quality and project follow-through
- Experience working in dynamic, impact orientated environments and a proven track record in meeting deadlines
- Track record of creating data driven reports, memos and presentations; with a sharp eye for detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills showcasing a capacity to synthesize information and develop compelling narratives
- Creative problem-solving skills; including an ability to grasp key issues and make recommendations for improvements
- Adaptability and ability to learn and develop skills on the job.
- Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred
- Flexibility to travel frequently to client cities
We would love to see:
- Experience living in and/or working with international cities
- Proficiency in urban design sketching and modeling skills. 3D modeling, database and/or geographic information computer software, such as: Rhino, SketchUp, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS and experience with tools such as Grasshopper a plus.
Bloomberg Philanthropies is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishment.