The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated professional eager to put their skills to work in a dynamic, progressive community with a wide array of planning opportunities.
About the Position: The City of Laramie is seeking a Principal Planner to provide leadership related to all aspects of Planning for the City of Laramie, applying experience in areas of current and long-range planning development, including project review, master plans and code development. This position will manage complex projects, with substantial, independent and direct influence on each project. The selected candidate will have vision, technical planning competency, ability to write code and Comprehensive Plans, and opportunities to present to City Council, business groups, the University and citizens. To view one of the projects the City of Laramie recently completed click the following link Laramie West Side Brown Field. Passionate about housing development? Check out the City of Laramie’s Thrive Housing Study.
Example Work Duties:
- Provides leadership and support in long range & current planning projects that will include analysis, work with citizens and preparation of reports;
- Works with other staff to define and coordinate project process and development issues;
- Serves as staff and provides support for project stakeholder and citizen based committees;
- Serves as professional staff for planning related items before Council, Commissions and Boards with ample opportunities for completing analysis, presenting and representing the City;
- Works closely with City Staff, Council and Planning Commission to develop processes, ordinance changes, or other solutions to complicated issues of planning development and growth issues addressed by city government. Innovative ideas and progressive concepts are desired in addressing planning issues;
- Develops planning RFPs and takes the lead in consultant searches;
- Provides support to the Planning Manager, City Management and other Department Directors as requested;
- Provides technical & professional assistance to developers with regard to municipal code;
- Coordinates and provides support with project development and implementation to other divisions and departments;
What the City of Laramie offers: We offer an excellent benefits package that supports quality of work-life balance. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, a retirement pension, paid vacation and sick leave, a mental health and wellness program, and much more.
The Planning Division: The division is under the City Manager’s office and consists of three fulltime employees, serving as liaisons to a 7-member Planning Commission and a 9-member City Council. The Planning Division aims to strategize for long-range stability in the community, manage development, and recognizing economic progress—all while preserving quality of life.
Explore the Area: Laramie has a population of approximately 32,000 people. It is known as “Gem City of the Plains” and is ranked as one of the safest cities and best places to live in Wyoming. There is access to hundreds of outdoor recreation opportunities, including camping, hunting, skiing, and snowmobiling. Laramie is home to the University of Wyoming, WyoTech, Laramie Community College, several tech and advanced manufacturing businesses, and plenty of arts and cultural events. Don’t just take our word for it, find out yourself at Visit Laramie!
Qualifications (A combination of the following experience and training would be qualifying):
- A minimum of four to eight years of professional planning experience.
- A bachelor’s degree in planning, architecture or related field. A Master’s degree preferred.
- Proficiency in code and regulatory writing, comprehensive plan development and familiarity with GIS is required.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification highly desired, or the ability to achieve certification within one year of hiring.
To request a more detailed description of this Planning position, please email [email protected]. Please apply at www.cityoflaramie.org. Applicants who are offered appointments will be required to pass a drug screening, comprehensive background investigation and driver’s license check.
The City of Laramie is an EEO/ADA employer and a smoke-free workplace per City ordinance