General Statement of Job
This is intermediate level professional planning work in the Town's Planning, Zoning, and Building Department. Employees in the classification perform a variety of analytical tasks. Work involves: assistance in the development and management of a computerized urban information management systems; statistical analysis of demographic, socio-economic, land use, and zoning issues; assistance in the preparation of the Town's comprehensive plan, and other long range plans. Incumbents are also required to perform special studies and other duties as required.
- Reviews plans submitted to the Town Council and Commissions and prepares the Administrative Grounds for denial and required public hearing advertisements.
- Reviews land use applications with applicants.
- Assists in the preparation of staff recommendations for the Town Council and Commissions which involves reviewing plans with other staff and /or discussing zoning and comprehensive plan issues.
- Prepares enabling legislation to amend the Town's Zoning Ordinance which includes research and creation of ordinances and coordination with the Legal Department.
- Supervises the formatting and distribution of adopted amendments to the Zoning Ordinance.
- Meets with developers, architects and citizens to answer questions regarding the Zoning Ordinance and the Town's Comprehensive Plan.
- Prepare zoning information letters for lending institutions, attorneys, and Performs analyses and participates in the preparation of various current planning projects and reports.
- Carries out public information, administration, and other special assignments.
- Performs site inspections as needed.
- Assists the Director and Asst. Director with administrative tasks including budgeting, staff recruitment, and other duties as requested.
- Performs other related tasks as required
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Planning, or a closely related field, and three (3) years full-time paid experience as a planner.
- Neighborhood planning and urban design/architectural design experience preferred.
- Ability to create graphics and design presentations required.
- Ability to interpret and apply design and zoning regulations required.
- A Master's degree in Planning or related field may substitute for one (1) year of experience.