Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst
SALARY:$36.98 - $44.94 Hourly
$6,409.00 - $7,789.00 Monthly
$76,908.00 - $93,468.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 02/10/21
CLOSING DATE: 03/03/21 04:30 PM
Under general supervision, develops and maintains the Geographic Information System (GIS) and the computerized geographic files composed of mapping layers and parcel base map elements on a City-wide basis; and performs related work as required.
The Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst is the advanced level of the series and performs the more advanced technical duties for the department; this position maintains and provides computerized geographic data for a variety of City Departments, public, and private organizations (examples of information computerized and maintained by incumbents include zoning, general and specific plans, Assessor's Parcel Map data, and the utility system); provides training, staff support, and lead supervision in system use; advises, maintains, and develops City-wide standards and procedures; and serves as the coordinator/liaison with Fresno County GIS, City of Clovis Departments, and other organizations.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Using ArcGIS and related products, creates and maintains GIS parcel level base maps; develops, maintains, and documents procedures and quality control standards for base maps, infrastructure data automation, and GIS map production; trains, coordinates, and reviews the work of assigned staff including staff responsible for data automation and maintenance of various GIS data; works in conjunction with all City of Clovis Departments on supplemental GIS analysis requests, troubleshoots all GIS related complications, uses critical thinking skills to determine particular GIS development plans; creates advanced cartographic (mapping) projects; develops procedures for interchanging data from engineering applications using CAD (AutoCad) with GIS; develops and maintains standards and procedures for accepting data from outside sources such as census data, FEMA flood zone maps, USGS quad maps photogrammetric data, GPS data, and other digital and analog sources; performs system administration duties such as installing GIS software and hardware and (AutoCad) software; operates computer and computer related software as required; and performs related work as required.
• Possession of a valid California Driver's License and a good driving record.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in
Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geography, Civil Engineering, or a closely
• Two (2) years of experience in Geographic Information System (GIS) operations.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation;
• Workstation, personal computer, and peripherals usage;
• Geographic Information System (GIS) and cartographic (mapping) concepts and methods;
• Relational databases;
• Environmental Systems Research Institute (Esri), Geographic Information System (GIS) software, CAD software, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS, ArcGIS Pro, and similar software
• Computer-Aided Design (CAD) - (AutoCAD);
• Basic survey principles;
• Research methods for records and maps;
• Geometry, algebra, and trigonometry;
• Nomenclature, symbols, methods, practices, techniques, and instruments used in drafting and graphic arts representations;
• Principles and practices of surveying and civil engineering;
• Spatial analysis techniques;
• Database software and design principles;
• Computer networking principles;
• Accurate record keeping;
• Techniques and general principles of training and lead supervision.
• Accurately perform various Geographic Information System (GIS) assignments;
• Maintain and operate networked workstations, personal computers, and their peripherals devices accurately and efficiently;
• Analyze data;
• Maintain accurate records;
• Read, understand, and apply technical materials;
• Prepare engineering calculations;
• Read, interpret, and analyze record maps, construction drawings, and survey notes;
• Understand architectural and engineering plans and drawings;
• Understand pertinent procedures and functions quickly and apply them without immediate supervision;
• Prepare graphic arts presentations;
• Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
• Effectively communicate in writing and orally;
• Provide on-the-job supervision of subordinates;
• Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
• Operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Work is primarily sedentary and conducted in an office environment;
• Good color perception;
• Incumbents may be required to attend periodic evening meetings;
• Incumbents are required to travel within and out of City on occasion.
Interested applicants must submit a completed City of Clovis employment application and supplemental questionnaire no later than 4:30 p.m. on March 3, 2021, to the City of Clovis Personnel Office. Applications must be submitted online at www.cityofclovis.com. For additional questions, you may contact Personnel at (559) 324-2725. Brief resumes are welcome as a supplement to the City's standard application form; however, the application form and supplemental questionnaire must be filled out completely to be considered. You may attach your resume at the time of application submission to the attachment section of the application form. A resume only may not be submitted in lieu of a completed employment application to be considered. Applicants may not attach any additional documents that are not required to their application form or submit any other documents by email, mail, fax, or hand delivery. Veterans Preference Points may be provided if a DD Form 214 demonstrating qualifying service is submitted to the Personnel Office by the position deadline date and time. Applicants may attach, hand deliver, or fax the required documents to (559) 324-2865. Reasonable accommodation, when needed, for otherwise qualified candidates with disabilities, must be requested in writing and faxed to (559) 324-2865 at the time of application submission. Applicants will receive notification regarding the status of their application by email or phone once the applications have been processed and reviewed.
Applicants must meet each qualification for the position by the deadline date. All applications will be reviewed based on the necessary employment standards for the position. Those candidates who best meet the needs of the operations may be invited to participate in an oral and/or written examination that will be weighted 100%. Candidates receiving a passing score may be placed on an eligibility list for a period of up to one (1) year. Examinations and department interviews for the position will be administered in the City of Clovis. As determined by the City and at the City's expense, successful candidates shall be required to complete and pass a Personal History Questionnaire, a polygraph or voice stress examination, an extensive background investigation, a medical examination, and a drug/alcohol screen. Possession of a valid California Driver's License and a good driving record will be required prior to hire. Proof of citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S. will be required at the time of hire.
The examination may consist of questions relative to knowledge of English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation; workstation, personal computer, and peripherals usage; Geographic Information System (GIS) and cartographic (mapping) concepts and methods; relational databases; Environmental Systems Research Institute (Esri), Geographic Information System (GIS) software, CAD software, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS, ArcGIS Pro, and similar software; Computer-Aided Design (CAD), (AutoCAD); basic survey principles; research methods for records and maps; geometry, algebra, and trigonometry; nomenclature, symbols, methods, practices, techniques, and instruments used in drafting and graphic arts representations; principles and practices of surveying and civil engineering; spatial analysis techniques; database software and design principles; computer networking principles; accurate record keeping; techniques and general principles of training and lead supervision. The examination may also contain questions regarding the ability to accurately perform various Geographic Information System (GIS) assignments; maintain and operate networked workstations, personal computers, and their peripherals devices accurately and efficiently; analyze data; maintain accurate records; read, understand, and apply technical materials; prepare engineering calculations; read, interpret, and analyze record maps, construction drawings, and survey notes; understand architectural and engineering plans and drawings; understand pertinent procedures and functions quickly and apply them without immediate supervision; prepare graphic arts presentations; understand and carry out oral and written instructions; effectively communicate in writing and orally; provide on-the-job supervision of subordinates; establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work; operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices.
This job flyer does not constitute a contract and its
terms and conditions can change without notice.
THE CITY OF CLOVIS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER