Knoxville-Knox County Planning is looking for a creative and dedicated planner to join our team. This is an entry-level position in the Planning Services Division. The division administers development regulations and processes applications for rezoning, use on review, subdivision, and sector plan amendments for the City of Knoxville and Knox County. The division also studies community growth patterns and prepares plans that guide agency policies.
Typical job duties include:
- Provide support to the agency’s customer service counter.
- Review rezoning requests, subdivisions, right of way closure applications, and development plans.
- Prepare recommendations for the Planning Commission.
- Organize and conduct meetings for community participation.
- Assist in the preparation of land use and community facilities plans, including sector plans, corridor studies, and ordinance amendments.
- Provide assistance to other planning staff.
Skills we are seeking:
- Positive attitude.
- Creative thinking.
- Strong commitment to public service and community involvement.
- Ability to work as part of a team and across agency divisions.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with colleagues in multiple jurisdictions.
- High level of personal accountability.
- Excellent communication, both oral and written.
- Master’s degree in urban planning or related field with one year of experience, or bachelor’s degree with four years of relevant experience.
- Master’s degree in urban planning.
- Membership in American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP).
Salary is commensurate with experience, beginning at $42,000.
How to apply:
Send your resume and a cover letter to:
Knoxville-Knox County Planning
Suite 403, 400 Main Street
Knoxville, TN 37902
Review of resumes and cover letters will begin on Monday, November 2, 2020. The position is open until filled.
Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed. If you opt to submit application materials electronically (email, Indeed.com, Planetizen, or other digital portal), it is your responsibility to contact us to confirm that your materials were received.
It is our policy to contact only those candidates selected for an interview. An offer of employment will be contingent on the candidate passing a background check before starting work.
Visit Knoxville-Knox County Planning for more information about our agency.
Living in Knoxville, TN
- Eclectic neighborhoods and communities
- Abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities
- Home of the University of Tennessee flagship campus
- Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains
- Moderate climate