ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and supervise planning operations; plan and organize workloads and staff assignments; train, motivate and evaluate assigned staff; review progress and direct changes as needed.
- Provide leadership and direction in the development of short- and long-range plans; gather, interpret and prepare data for studies, reports, and recommendations.
- Provide professional planning and land use advice to supervisors and other officials; make private and public presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups and the public.
- Establish, encourage, and enforce a high standard of design and aesthetic appeal for public and private construction projects—both vertical and horizontal.
- Communicate official plans, policies, and procedures to staff and the public.
- Oversee staffing to a variety of committees and commission of the Planning Board; serve as the representative to Advisory Boards; may be responsible for serving as the chair to certain committees, or boards; represents the Planning Department before the City Council.
- Review all building permits and Certificates of Occupancy; draft and review updates and revisions to the Zoning Code of Ordinances; work with developers and applicants to ensure efficient permitting process and quality process.
- Serve as liaison between Planning Division and other City Departments; staff or assistant in staffing planning of citywide infrastructure, transportation, and park projects.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in planning or a closely related discipline.
- At least five years of experience in municipal planning or a closely related field.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Massachusetts driver’s license and good driving record.
- Resumes will be accepted with a completed employment application. New Bedford has a residency requirement per the City Code of Ordinances. EEO/ADA