Community Planner II
Plan Hillsborough provides value-added planning services through a diverse team of professionals working towards a thriving future for Tampa, Temple Terrace, Plant City, and Hillsborough County, and provides staff to the Hillsborough County City-County Planning Commission, the Hillsborough County Metropolitan Planning Organization and the Hillsborough River Interlocal Planning Board.
At Plan Hillsborough, your work matters. We are looking for individuals who want to join a team that believes in turning challenges that come with growth into opportunities for a thriving future. If this is you, read below to learn more about this opportunity to be a part of Plan Hillsborough!
Performs professional planning duties researching and analyzing information to write reports in support of the development, evaluation, monitoring and implementation of comprehensive planning studies, plans, programs, and land development regulations. This position reports to the Hillsborough County Liaison.
A Master's degree with a major in Planning, Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Geography or a closely related field of study; and One year of professional experience as a planner.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Creates Consistency Finding Reports for ongoing applications, which include re-zonings, planned development, vacating, land development regulations, etc., which may also include site visits, meetings with county staff, meetings with applicants, and writing reports.
- Assists senior staff with Comprehensive Plan Review related tasks.
- Assists senior staff with background research on any planning related areas of importance such as BOCC workshop preparation tasks.
- Assists with Plan Amendment preparation which includes research and report writing.
- Prepares and presents at various meetings and hearings.
- Learns multiple comprehensive plans.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Working knowledge of comprehensive planning principles and practices
- Working knowledge of state and local planning laws and procedures.
- Working knowledge of GIS.
- Skill in making presentations to elected and appointed officials and boards
- Skill in writing concise technical staff reports
- Skill in interpreting plans and policies
- Skill in Microsoft Office, electronic document management, SharePoint, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Able to work both independently and as a team
- Ability to manage projects effectively and meet firm deadlines
- Ability to conduct studies, analyze findings, determine trends and/or make recommendations.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously,
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with our client governments
- Ability to critically think and analyze policies and applications
- Ability to proof own work and the work of others
- Ability to prioritize work
- Ability to word effectively with others
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to collect, organize and evaluate data and to develop logical conclusions, reports and presentations.
- Ability to use appropriate computer applications
Plan Hillsborough embraces and celebrates the diversity of the communities we serve while also seeking the same of our employees. At Plan Hillsborough, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class
What Accountability Means at Plan Hillsborough: protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Everyone is responsible to consistently put forth the highest quality work effort. The agency will follow through in setting, measuring and addressing clear expectations and taking actions to ensure all meet these expectations.
What Accountability Looks Like at Plan Hillsborough:
- We set, measure, and address clear expectations through communicating goals and documenting outcomes.
- We set expectations and measure performance consistently across the agency.
- We ensure equitable division of workload within similar roles agencywide.
- We hold work products to the same standard agencywide.
- We continue a task or action to its conclusion with results that meet the needs and deadlines of internal and external partners.
- We act independently and hold ourselves personally accountable for performing duties, achieving goals and adhering to procedures.