Knoxville-Knox County Planning is looking for a creative and dedicated planner to join our team. This is a professional planning position in the Planning Services Division which administers subdivision regulations and processes applications for rezoning, development plan reviews, subdivisions, and sector plan amendments for the City of Knoxville and Knox County. This division also studies community growth patterns and prepares plans that guide City and County policies.
Typical job duties include:
- Coordinate the review of development plans and subdivisions.
- Lead initiatives and projects related to ordinance updates and process enhancements.
- Prepare recommendations for the Planning Commission, City Council, and County Commission.
- Provide leadership and support to the agency’s customer service counter.
- Represent the Agency at interdepartmental meetings.
- Review rezoning requests and development plans.
- Support long-range planning projects and initiatives.
- Gather, organize and conduct meetings for community participation.
- Provide support and represent the Agency at community meetings, some of which may occur during evening or weekend hours.
Skills we are looking for:
- Ability to lead and direct staff.
- High level of personal accountability.
- Ability to work as part of a team and across divisions.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with colleagues both internally and in multiple jurisdictions.
- Strong commitment to public service and community involvement.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Creative thinking.
- Positive attitude.
- Master’s degree in urban planning or related field.
- Four or more years of relevant experience.
- Membership in American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP).
- Master’s degree in urban planning.
- Supervisory experience.
Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
The position may be filled at the senior planner or principal planner level depending on qualifications.
How to apply:
Send your resume, cover letter, and three references to:
Knoxville-Knox County Planning
Suite 403, 400 Main Street
Knoxville, TN 37902
Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed. If you opt to submit application materials electronically (email, Indeed.com, Planetizen, or other digital portal), it is your responsibility to contact us to confirm that your materials were received.
Review of resumes and cover letters will begin immediately. The position is open until filled.
It is our policy to contact only those candidates selected for an interview. An offer of employment will be contingent on the candidate passing a background check before starting work.
Visit Knoxville-Knox County Planning for more information about our agency.
Living in Knoxville, TN
- Home of the University of Tennessee flagship campus
- Abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities
- Moderate climate
- Eclectic neighborhoods and communities