Senior Planner (Urban Planner)
As one of the nation's premiere planning agencies, we at Montgomery County Planning Department focus our skills and talents to bring high-quality design in both form and function to all areas, from central business districts to rural villages and have pioneered programs in agricultural preservation, inclusionary housing, and transit-oriented design. To learn more about us, visit www.montgomeryplanning.org
The Area 1 Team of the Montgomery County Planning Department is looking for a motivated urban planner to be a part of preparing cutting-edge long-term community development plans for Montgomery County's urbanizing communities inside the Capital Beltway. We are seeking a candidate who is a creative problem solver and can work independently and in teams. The ideal candidate will have experience in and be familiar with urban planning practices, principles, and policies. Applicants should have strong analysis, synthesis, research, and verbal, graphic, and written communication skills and interest in projects such as land use policy and zoning, urban downtowns and districts, mixed-use environments, and neighborhood and regional plans.
Area 1 is defined as the geographic area inside the Capital Beltway and includes major activity centers such as Bethesda, Silver Spring and Takoma Park. This position would be a part of the master planning team to develop land use recommendations for the communities inside Area 1.
Examples of important duties:
- Compile, research, analyze and evaluate data related to social, housing, economic, population, environmental, land use trends, and preparing reports and presentations associated with the above items;
- Conducts research, create and modify plans, diagrams, maps, tables and worksheets, and reports as directed by senior planners; visually communicate project content and write text for related reports and presentations and other written work deliverables;
- Attend evening meetings and assist with public hearings;
- Prepare planning reports and materials for public meetings;
- Utilize GIS to create and maintain the planning department's database; analyze data and prepare maps and data layers for planning and reporting purposes;
- Develop planning-related presentation content and graphics;
- Develop planning analysis, diagrams, infographics, and maps;
- Write summary memos and detailed reports;
- Collaborate with and support multidisciplinary teams on planning-related tasks.