Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Assistant Director of Planning & Building
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF PLANNING & BUILDING
County of San Mateo
$157,368 - $196,721 Annually
San Mateo County is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Assistant Director of Planning & Building to be responsible for improving, organizing, directing, coordinating and evaluating the activities and programs related to the permitting functions within the Planning and Building Department. The Deputy also provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Director and exercises direct and indirect supervision over managerial, professional, technical, supervisory and clerical staff.
San Mateo County was formed in April 1856 out of the southern portion of then - San Francisco County - with a population of fewer than 5,000 people and little in the way of commerce. Today, more than 764,000 people call San Mateo County home and it stretches the boundary of Silicon Valley northward. Innovation thrives here in industries including bioscience, computer software, green technology, hospitality, financial management, health care, education and transportation. The County prides itself on how that prosperity fosters its commitment to protecting and enhancing the health, safety, welfare and natural resources of the community.
Department of Planning & Building
Our mission is to serve the County and its communities by preparing, administering and enforcing land use plans and development regulations that protect public safety, preserve agricultural and environmental resources, address housing and transportation needs, and create healthy and prosperous communities in a manner that fosters community engagement and provides an exceptional level of service.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong working knowledge of the standards and procedures used by local government to regulate, permit and inspect construction and development projects
- Strong analytical skills and a firm sense of accountability and ownership for end-to-end project lifecycles
- Experience in implementing business process redesigns that increase efficiencies and leverage the use of technology
- Specific knowledge of and experience with coastal development, grading, subdivision and design review permitting and appeal procedures
- Familiarity with Accela or an equivalent case management system/permit database and experience developing and implementing on-line permitting systems
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with a variety of County staff, elected officials, other agencies and community members with diverse backgrounds and varying levels of knowledge about development review requirements and procedures
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage changing priorities
- The ability to resolve complex and controversial land use and permitting disputes in an open, efficient, politically astute and ethical manner
- Ability to provide the highest levels of customer service to internal and external customers and to make prompt and sound decisions
- Demonstrated experience managing and leading change, training, developing and supervising staff
- Ability to review, monitor and track performance measures and build a positive work environment
- Experience establishing performance measurements and collecting and applying performance data to drive process improvements
Final Filing Date: February 20, 2020
For more information, view our online brochure at: https://jobs.smcgov.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Assistant-Director-of-Planning-and-Building_2020.pdf
To learn more about this amazing career opportunity and how to apply, read our job posting at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/2619388/assistant-director-of-planning-and-building-open-promotional?page=1&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs or visit the County jobs portal page at https://jobs.smcgov.org. Applications are only accepted online. EOE