Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a Planner Coordinator, position #13949, to join our planning team. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George's County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George's has a population of approximately 900,000 residents and is home to the University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. Prince George's County is also home to many attractions such as FedEx Field, National Harbor, and Six Flags Amusement Park. If you are interested in working for the Prince George's County Planning Department, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Planner Coordinator position.
This position is located in the Office of the Planning Director and works on special projects for the Director. We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic, self–starter who is able to manage assignments that require careful analysis and sensitivity, outreach to other stakeholders, and the timely delivery of an accurate and professional work product. The position requires the ability to work independently, and also as a leader of teams that include land use professionals, other government agencies, elected officials, community leaders and the general public. Strong research, writing, communication and organizational skills are a must.
Examples of Important Duties
The Planner Coordinator will manage a variety of projects for the Planning Director that may include analysis of emerging land use trends, interagency coordination, organizational reforms, sensitive neighborhood issues, and unique land development challenges. The Planner Coordinator will deliver creative solutions, professional reports, oral presentations, and programmatic reforms as appropriate.
Additional desired skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Exceptional organization skills including the ability to handle multiple projects with various (and possibly competing) deadlines.
- Possess a master's degree in land planning or a related field.
- Able to build relationships and work collaboratively.
- Experience working with elected public officials.
- Experience presenting at public and community meetings.
- Experience with project management.
- High proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Master's degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, or equivalent disciplines related to job function and three years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience at the journey level;
- OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Free onsite parking is available for employees. In the foreseeable future, the Department will be moving to a newly renovated, state-of-the-art building in Largo, Maryland, conveniently located near Metro and I-495.
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $61,231 to $104,980 at the Planner Coordinator level with an excellent benefits package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from minorities, females, and persons with disabilities.
Works in office. Field work may be necessary depending on work assignment. Required to deal with difficult customer/consumer issues.