Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Director of Data and Research
PURPOSE OF JOB:
Detroit Future City (DFC) is a non-profit planning and advocacy agency serving the City of Detroit and committed to advancing the quality of life of all Detroiters. We are seeking an experienced Director of Research and Data to join our team. The Director of Research and Data will work closely with DFC leadership and a two-member staff to develop and deploy DFC’s data and research department, which will focus on economic equity, cultivating community engagement efforts, and expanding DFC’s existing publications work.
- Provide leadership in developing DFC’s long-term operation of all equity, engagement, and research initiatives
- Manage the development and production of data-driven research and policy reports.
- Lead and support DFC’s equity, engagement, and research team
- Work with DFC leadership to integrate equity, engagement, and research objectives into DFC’s overall strategic plan
- Work to build a common agenda among regional business leaders and decision-makers around growing equity in Detroit and the region to create economic opportunity for all Detroiters
- Provide evidence-based thought leadership through data, research, and engagement to advance economic opportunity in Detroit
- Consult, inform, involve, and collaborate with, community, local and regional leaders on economic equity and to develop indicators to measure long term impact
- Motivate policymakers to adopt equity-inducing regulatory approaches
- Influence and engage corporations, investors, and civic leaders to promote equity in the private sector
- Lead and manage a stakeholder advisory group that will inform the direction and detail of equity, engagement, and research initiatives
- Work with equity, engagement, and research staff to develop an engagement strategy plan
- Manage budgets and maintain accurate records for all equity, engagement, and research programs and initiatives
- Maintain relationships with external stakeholders in conjunction with equity, engagement, and research initiatives and programs including elected officials, government agencies, funders, non-profit organizations, and community members.
- Represent DFC in meetings, coalitions, and conferences related to equity, engagement, and research initiatives
- Support fundraising efforts for equity, engagement, and research initiatives
- Develop and design innovative approaches to advance economic equity in Detroit
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience in research, data analysis, and policy development
- Experience working to advance economic equity
- Post-Graduate Degree in Social Work, Economics, Urban Planning, Public Policy or related fields.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS THE FOLLOWING SKILLS AND QUALITIES:
- Broad knowledge of data tracking, equity indicator research, and economic equity
- Proven track record of producing high-quality, data-driven research and policy reports to influence change
- Experience designing, leading and managing successful programs
- Experience managing collaborative decision-making processes with diverse participants
- Experience with public speaking, community engagement processes, and meeting facilitation
- Experience managing a team
- Experience administering consultant contracts
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well organized and detail-conscious; excellent project management skills
- Able to work independently and handle multiple responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Team player able to work effectively with diverse colleagues
- Passionate about Detroit and the mission of Detroit Future City
WORK HOURS: 40
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Some job duties require the employee to bend, stoop, reach, stand or walk for extended periods. Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience
- Medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D insurance plans, and long-term disability
- 401k Savings Plan with a match
- 20 PTO Days per year
- 15 paid holidays per year
Submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]