Principal Planner - Scheduling
Closing Date/Time: Monday September 16, 2019 4:00PM PST
Pierce Transit is an independent municipal organization dedicated to fulfulling the mission of improving people's quality of life by providing safe, reliable, innovative and useful transportation services that are locally based and regionally connected.
As a regional leader in Transit, we are here to help people get where they need to be quickly while reducing commuter stress, improving public safety, greening the environment and radically improving urban air quality by providing comfortable, effective transit services for our community.
The Planning and Community Development division is actively seeking a highly skilled and seasoned professional to fill the Principal Planner - Scheduling position in Lakewood, WA. Reporting to the Planning Manager, this role will be relied upon to play a critical role in the development of complex plans, programs and designs for public transportation routes and services.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional communicatory who will enjoy building strong and collaborative relationships with stakeholders inside PierceTransit and in the community we serve. The individual will have proven leadership skills and a deep commitment to public service. They will mentor and ocach as they supervise professionals on a team, using their depth of knowledge in transit planning to build the individual and team capacity. Other regulat functions in theis role will include:
- Analyzing current and proposed service to include the cost/benefit, productivity, staff and equipment parameters
- Conducting complex analysis and utilizing geographic information services to prepare reports and presentation materials and Board of Director briefings
- Represent the Agency at various regional committees with partner agencies and municipalities
- Manage projects and provide contract management and direction of cunsultants for service
- Coordinate scheduling activities and projects with other Agency departments and other local, state and federal agencies and organizations.
Knowledge of and skill in applying:
- Principals of supervision, training and performance evaluation
- Effective management of scheduling team, including setting priorities, resolving conflicts and making decisions
- Scheduling software, preferable HASTUS
- Planning tools, preferably Remix Planning.
- Design, implementation and evaluation of route and schedule structure;
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes;
- Leadership principles;
- Public transportation service administration principles;
- ArcGIS software;
- Grant projects, transit operations, and basic knowledge of traffic signal operations;
- Land use management, transportation demand management and interlocal agreements;
- Report and document writing techniques;
- Public relations principles;
- Budgeting principles;
- Customer service principles; and
- Modern office equipment.
Skill in and ability to:
Interpreting and applying federal, state, and local laws and regulations;
Supervising staff and/or leading teams;
Analyzing and interpreting fiscal, statistical, operational data and/or other related information and developing and implementing recommendations based on findings;
Preparing reports, presentations, training materials, promotional materials, and/or other related documentation and correspondence;
Providing daily operational guidance and supervision;
Utilizing and analyzing census population, economics, ethnicity and density data; familiarity with Title VI implications;
Convey complex ridership and financial statistics in an easily understood format;
Managing and administering projects, programs or operational activities;
Monitoring and administering budgets, contracts and/or related operational measures;
Ensuring regulatory compliance of assigned area;
Planning and forecasting;
Providing customer service and client support;
Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications;
Establishing and developing effective and cooperative working relationships with others.
Required: Bachelor's Degree in Transportation Planning, Urban Planning, Public Administration, Engineering, Political Science, or a related field and five (5) years experience in Transportation Planning; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Desired: Supervisory experience in a union environment. Public Transportation experience, AICP certification, and/or certification as a Professional Transportation Planner through the Institute of Transportation Engineers.
To be considered for this vacancy, you must apply online via https://www.piercetransit.org/careers/.
- The online application must include a chronological work and/or education history.
- A resume and cover letter are required but will not substitute for the application.
- At least 3 professional references should be included with names, professional titles, and current phone numbers and/or email addresses.
For questions regarding this recruitment or assistance with the application process, please contact Talent Management staff at 253-581-8095.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please call NEOGOV toll-free at (855) 524-5627 or email [email protected].
Pierce Transit Is An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Pierce Transit has a strong commitment to the community we serve and our employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to have a workforce that reflects the community we serve. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class.
Pierce Transit's Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.