Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Free Roaming and Walkability — Enhancing Urban Design, Cities and Spaces for Wellness and Well-being (Free Webinar)
Dr. William Bird is a renowned medical physician and urbanist who believes prevention and wellness should be practised at a city scale. Dr. Bird has always been fascinated with the connection between the health of humans and their environment. As a pioneer in leading innovative programs and practices, he has transformed millions of people’s lives around the globe through his work. He has been named among the top 100 who are making Great Britain a happier place and he is an MBE (Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire), awarded by the Queen for his work connecting health and physical activity.
Dr. Bird has been exploring the disconnect between physical activity and urban design and is addressing the alarming increase of sedentary children and adults who no longer “roam” nature and their neighbourhoods as their parents did. This disconnect has produced significant impacts on the mental and physical health of children and adults, and he has been championing the importance of supportive urban design to reclaim health, well-being and social cohesion through enhanced walkability. In this webinar he will outline what cities and spaces need to do to heal urban design and ourselves, and outline his innovative intervention that has engaged nearly 40 per cent of city populations in sustaining walking as a way to be active and sociable, contributing to happier, healthier lives, cities and spaces.
Speaker: Dr. William Bird. Moderated by Sandy James, director, Walk Metro Vancouver.
Webinar registration details:
- October 23, 10 am PDT (1 pm EDT)
- Free webinar. Register on Eventbrite.
- SFU's Next-Generation Transportation Certificate is designed to help mid-career professionals use next-generation transportation strategies to create livable and sustainable cities for the future. Courses can be taken individually without committing to the full certificate.
- SFU's Next-Generation Transportation Webinar Series is an ongoing series — watch previous webinars on our YouTube playlist.
- Other course offerings include, Community Data Science Theory and Practice, starting November 21, 2017, in Vancouver BC.