Infill Development Picks Up Speed Across the U.S.

A report released this week by the U.S. EPA finds that 71 percent of the country's large metro regions saw an increase in the development of infill housing over the latter half of the last decade. Greenfield development still dominates, however.

The good news in the Environmental Protection Agency's newly released report, "Residential Construction Trends in America's Metropolitan Regions: 2012 Edition" (PDF), is that "infill has become a significant portion of the U.S. housing market." In a press release accompanying the publication of the report, the EPA noted that, "[f]or example, eight out of ten new homes in San Jose, Calif. were infill. New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco all saw a majority of new home construction in previously developed areas during the same time period."

The bad news? That significant portion accounts for only 21 percent of new home construction, meaning the remaining 79 percent "was built on undeveloped land outside existing communities." Furthermore, finds the report, "[n]early all metropolitan regions are growing outward more than they are growing inward."

Why should we be building more infill? As the EPA notes, "this type of development provides economic and public health benefits to metropolitan areas while protecting the local environment...Infill housing has also been shown to help raise property values, increase a community’s tax base, and attract retail businesses to serve the larger residential population."


Full Story: EPA Study Reveals Shift in Housing Developments Across the U.S.

Comments

Prepare for the AICP Exam

Join the thousands of students who have utilized the Planetizen AICP* Exam Preparation Class to prepare for the American Planning Association's AICP* exam.
Starting at $199
Planetizen Courses image ad

Planetizen Courses

Advance your career with subscription-based online courses tailored to the urban planning professional.
Starting at $14.95 a month
Wood necklace with city map

City Necklaces

These sweet pendants are engraved on a cedar charm with a mini map of selected cities. The perfect gift for friends and family or yourself!
$28.00
T-shirt with map of Chicago

Show your city pride

Men's Ultrasoft CityFabric© tees. Six cities available.
$23.00