Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Situated in the heart of urban development and innovation of the Netherlands, the city of Rotterdam, the Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is an education, advisory and research institute part of the high-ranking Erasmus University Rotterdam (#70 globally: Times Higher Education; #5 for Planning & Development: Center University Rankings). Together with our partners we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the wellbeing of people living in cities since 1958.
Cities are complex organisms. They face new economic, environmental, physical and social challenges every day. Students come to IHS to learn how to design and implement progressive urban policies which solve these multidisciplinary issues and make cities across the globe more sustainable and competitive. Because IHS also carries out advisory assignments, our lecturers also have practical experience from real-life projects all over the world. Upon graduation students join a highly active network of over 9000 alumni working in 142 countries.
MSc in Urban Management and Development
The 12-month MSc in Urban Management and Development (UMD) is a multidisciplinary programme designed to equip students with the knowledge and the skills to become competent urban managers. Known worldwide for its hands-on approach and unique ways of linking theory to practice, through this program IHS offers in-depth knowledge on urban management and development. Moreover, students have the opportunity can tailor-make their study by specializing in one of six fields:
- Urban Strategies & Planning
- Urban Infrastructure for Green Cities
- Urban Equity, Housing & Social Justice
- Urban Competitiveness & Resilience
- Urban Land Governance
- Urban Environment & Climate Change
MSc Public Administration: Urban Governance Specialisation
This one-year, full-time programme is a unique collaboration between the institutes and awards a Master of Science in Public Administration: Urban Governance Specialisation. The course will combine the excellent reputation of ESSB in governance studies and public management with IHS’s awarding-winning (UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour), 60 year history in the field of urban management. The MSc in Urban Governance provides participants with insights on a “new way of governing” and equips them with expertise in areas such as public administration, political sciences, urban economy and planning and gain knowledge on current urban governance trends (circular economy, place-making, co-production etc.). Students have the opportunity to expand their network with project work and field visits to local stakeholders. Thanks to our unique network, Urban Governance students have the opportunity to conduct their thesis abroad.
Why do your Masters at IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam?
- Study in a top 100 university (#70 Times Higher Education rankings; #5 for Planning & Development: Center University Rankings; #1 for Public Administration: Shanghai Ranking);
- Get a Master’s in just 1 year;
- Learn from renowned professors with real-life experience;
- Tailor your programme with one of six specialization tracks;
- Benefit from low tuition fees: €13,900 – €14,900
- It’s an opportunity to live in Europe;
Funding opportunities for North Americans
- Organization of American States (OAS) Scholarship: 60% tuition fee waiver
- Sallie Mae: student loan
- Holland scholarship: €5000 tuition fee waiver
- Early Bird application: €1000 tuition fee waiver (can be combined with other partial scholarships as well as student loans)