New members can join the American Planning Association at a savings of up to 85 percent a year, for up to two years. If you've never been a member of APA, we want to encourage you to take advantage of all our association offers. You will soon discover that APA is your essential professional organization.
Why Join APA?
- Expand your network.We bring together nearly 40,000 individuals from every state and more than 70 countries who share your passions and can help shape your future.
- Connect with specialists. Attend the National Planning Conference that gathers thousands of planners under one roof or join one or more of APA's 21 divisions — communities of professionals with shared interest
- Connect locally.Join one of 47 chapters (required for US members) to connect with your area’s planning community.
- AICP Certification.Only as an APA member can you earn certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners, either traditionally or through the AICP Candidate Pilot Program.
- Keep up with planning.Access hardcopy and digital resources, including Planning magazine, current and archived Planning Advisory Service reports, and APA's Research KnowledgeBase.
- Advance your career.Get a boost from APA's online Career Center, a powerhouse of resources for all members and experience levels – including professional development and mentoring opportunities.
- Promote planning. Strengthen and promote planning by joining a highly engaged network of advocates shaping federal and state planning policy outcomes through APA. Membership in the Planners' Advocacy Network is free with your APA membership.
Select Your Membership Category
Upgrade your skills, expand your network, and connect and interact with planners from every region and discipline.
Kickstart your planning career with professional publications, career guidance, opportunities to present your work, and much more. Student membership is free and includes a deep discount on the cost of attending the National Planning Conference.
Commissioners and Planning Board Members
Take advantage of an experienced and helpful partner as you work to create a vital, sustainable community.
APA invites academic departments to participate in a group membership program designed for planning educators. Stay connected to practices and policies that shape planning through publications, events, and programs.
Outside the United States
Become part of a global community working for better cities and better lives. APA members in more than 100 countries share your commitment to planning.
Allied Professionals and Interested Citizens
If you have a desire to help planners or help your community, APA has opportunities and benefits just for you.