Director, Memphis Medical District Transportation Management Association
The Memphis Medical District Collaborative (MMDC) seeks a qualified Director to lead a new TMA initiative in the Memphis Medical District. Established in 2016, MMDC is a not-for-profit, community development organization committed to strengthening the communities between and around the eight major anchor institutions in the Memphis Medical District. The TMA is an initiative formed to support this work. MMDC seeks applicants with a proven record of organizational leadership in developing and managing transportation strategies in an urban context.
The Memphis Medical District is home to eight medical and educational anchor institutions and more than 9,500 residents. Together, the institutions have more than 24,000 employees and students, a collective operating budget of $2.7 Billion, are in the midst of more than $3 Billion in planned or current capital expansions, and control more than 250 acres of real estate. The institutions, along with local and national philanthropy support the work of MMDC to revitalize the Memphis Medical District and create a vibrant link between Downtown and Midtown Memphis.
Director Responsibilities The TMA Director will report to MMDC leadership, and will coordinate closely with MMDC staff. In addition to managing the day to day operation of the TMA, the Director will implement the mobility strategies prioritized by MMDC’s anchor partners.
- District-wide fixed route shuttle service
- Comprehensive parking pricing plan
- Shared parking system
- Employer-based commuter incentive programs
- Other TDM strategies
The Director will be the TMA’s first staff person, and as such will initially be responsible for service delivery, membership development, as well as strategic and office administration tasks including:
- Drafting and monitoring the annual TMA budget and providing quarterly updates to the Board.
- Efficiently managing the organization’s finances.
- Planning preparing, distributing, and presenting materials for Board meetings including arranging speakers, presentations, handouts, and meeting minutes.
- Responding to member’s information requests, questions, and concerns on an ongoing basis and in a timely manner.
- Heading up development of information and programming for TMA member employees and tenants. • Serving as the public face and spokesperson for the MMDC TMA.
- Engaging members to assist in fulfilling the TMA’s goals, mission, and objectives.
- Creating membership recruitment materials and actively recruiting new member organizations.
- Working to raise the visibility of the TMA and its members.
The Director will work closely with MMDC, the TMA Advisory Board, the Memphis Area Transit Authority, as well as the TMA membership organizations comprised of some of the nation’s leading healthcare and educational institutions. The Director will coordinate and maintain partnerships with various local public and private organizations to support the work of the TMA by:
- Communicating on behalf of the MMDC TMA as needed through written comment and public speaking in regards to transportation and demand management efforts.
- Identifying and researching trends and potential growth opportunities in transportation and land use that would be beneficial to the Memphis Medical District and TMA members.
- Participating in public policy initiatives at the city, state, and federal level that are related to the TMA’s mission.
- Continuing to develop and refine TDM strategies that allow the MMDC TMA to grow and help to shift single occupancy vehicle use.
- Participating in activities in the Memphis Medical District as requested including special events, community meetings, and advocacy activities which may take place after normal business hours.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of cities and the dynamics of urban transportation systems. They will understand the relationship between transportation and land use, and understand how mobility strategies impact urban development, equity, and neighborhood character. The ideal candidate will work effectively with MMDC’s network of medical and educational anchor institutions, advisers, local businesses and community leaders to improve accessibility to and within the Memphis Medical District. The candidate must be an energetic self-starter who is well organized, and capable of functioning in a very independent situation. The candidate must be confident working in a fast-paced, start-up environment, and possess a desire to grow within a dynamic and high-performing team. Additionally, the candidate must have:
- A master’s degree in a related field and at least three years of professional experience OR at least five years of equivalent work experience.
- Experience in organizational leadership.
- Knowledge of parking management and commute options programs.
- An understanding of urban planning principles and practices and the implication of transportation decisions on land use.
- Ability to balance the needs of a variety of institutional stakeholders.
- Experience with GIS; data analytics; or design software is a plus.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in transportation systems in large employment centers.
In addition, we are seeking a candidate with the following attributes:
- Has a positive, open, creative and flexible attitude;
- Is comfortable managing several different types of projects simultaneously;
- Collaborates and openly shares information with team and stakeholders;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to speak comfortably in public settings;
- Analyzes data, national trends, and research; and
- Wants to grow with a group of people working to make Memphis a more vibrant place.
Compensation will be competitive with similar TMA executive positions and will be commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please demonstrate your understanding of how effective transportation policies can lead to great places. No phone calls please. For more information visit www.mdcollaborative.org.