Will Technology Investment Lead us out of the Recession?
International Economic Development Council
IASP Conference Registration Deadline Extended
Register Before April 17th and Save – IEDC affiliates enter Organization Code: IEDC
IEDC is partnering with The Research Triangle Park in Raleigh, NC and the International Association of Science Parks (IASP), based in Malaga, Spain, to present the 2009 IEDC Technology-Led Economic Development Conference and IASP World Conference on Science and Technology Parks.
In today's troubled economy, investments in science, technology and innovation are becoming integral to spurring economic recovery. These investments lead to new jobs and opportunities that will strengthen local economies while making them more competitive globally. This conference is your chance to find out how technology investment diversify and grow your community's economy in challenging economic times. Participants will hear case studies and learn what other countries are doing, as well how Americans can tap into the new stimulus funding.
Featured speakers and sessions include:
GOING GREEN: BUILDING A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE
Kenneth Dobson, Director, Community & Economic Development, The University of Toledo
• how the Stimulus and new administration supports green development.
• about emerging new industries and how you can tap in.
• new opportunities for struggling industries such as manufacturing and creating green jobs.
ATTRACTING AND RETAINING TALENT IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY
Christine Chmura, PhD, President & Chief Economist, Chmura Economics & Analytics
• how competition for talent is continuing even in a period of reduced unemployment, making it critical to focus on workforce skills now.
• How to identify issues in the pipeline of high-tech workers and create strategies to close those gaps.
ACCESSING TECH RESOURCES: NAVIGATING NEW TECHNOLOGY
Diane Palmintera, President, Innovation Associates
• new entrepreneurial opportunities for your community.
• how to access potential technologies for commercialization from research institutions to help grow your community's economy.
KNOWLEDGE ECOSYSTEMS: THE PRESENT AND FUTURE OF INNOVATIVE ECONOMIES
Anthony Townsend, Research Director, Institute for the Future
• intelligence to help you make decisions positioning your economy for the future.
• about Anthony's work for the Institute for the Future and his multi-year study on the future of science parks and incubators.
LIFE SCIENCES INCUBATION MODELS
Garheng Kong, General Partner, Intersouth Partners
Art Pappas, Managing Partner, Pappas Ventures
Karen LeVert, President and CEO, Southeast TechInventures, Inc.
• about incubators and how they are core tools to support entrepreneurship.
• the specific needs for life science incubators.
• cutting edge incubator strategies to foster life science incubators and support early stage start-ups in the life science industry.
View the full conference program: http://www.iedconline.org/Tech-LedConference/Program.html
Expert speakers: http://www.iedconline.org/Tech-LedConference/Speakers.html
Register today: http://www.iedconline.org/Tech-LedConference/Registration.html
Posted April 3, 2009