ATLANTA CONFERENCE AT FOREFRONT OF CREATING LIVABLE COMMUITIES THROUGHOUT U. S.
WHAT: 9th annual Rail~Volution conference, a national exchange of ideas for metropolitan regions throughout the country to shape healthy communities with an emphasis on transit.
WHEN: Thursday, Sept. 11 - Sunday, Sept. 14
WHERE: Atlanta Hyatt Regency Hotel and other sites in the Atlanta area
DETAILS: Atlanta was selected as this year's Rail~Volution conference because of the metropolitan region's dynamic growth and some of the most ambitious and innovative development projects in the country. Some of the region's opportunities and challenges include: how to use land more wisely and avoid growing outward, encouraging more development along existing and future transit areas, redeveloping unused or underused sites into vibrant pockets of busines and economic activity, and seeking alternative ways for Atlantan's to travel whenever possible - by transit, walking, or bicycling.
Among the topics of this year's conference are:
* Learning from other cities about livability strategies that have worked in their communities
* Using public-private partnerships to create innovative projects
* Understanding the complexities of federal transportation funding and acquiring funds for your community
* Examining social, environmental, and equity issues as they relate to building livable commuities for everyone - not just the wealthy
* How does urban design relate to public health and can more livable, walkable communities stem the growing epidemic of obesity? How will the demographics of senior populations influence demand for transit friendly communities?
- Registration and information is available at www.railvolution.com
- Media should contact Gordon Kenna at (404)262-3140 for press credentials
Related Link: Transportation and Land Use
For more information contact:
P. O. Box 550451
Posted August 19, 2003