Manager of Planning and Community Engagement
Opportunity and Variety in a Great Environment and Location
Reporting to the Company President, the Manager of Planning and Community Engagement will develop and implement community engagement plans for clients. The Manager will focus on direct engagement with area community-based organizations, neighbors, volunteers and other interest groups.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of a Master’s degree (or 8+ years experience) in urban planning, public policy, communications, or some other social science discipline. Prior project management experience a plus, and candidates with a strong understanding of zoning and land use regulations are particularly encouraged to apply. A match with the firm’s entrepreneurial, independent, hands-on, can-do spirit is greatly desired.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage multiple simultaneous projects of varying scope, content, budget and sponsoring agency.
- Design project approaches, timelines, costs and deliverables. Controlling budget expenditures and work flow.
- Maintain positive and productive relationships with executive level clients, both during project implementation and through engagement in professional events and networking opportunities.
- Design participatory planning methodologies. This will include traditional tools such as neighborhood meetings to more modern and innovative practices in civic engagement.
- Attend public meetings and present information.
- Prepare or assist in the production of GIS maps and GIS related projects.
- Attend meetings with project teams, municipal officials and other agencies.
- Develop presentations and communications materials for diverse audiences, community organizations, community leaders and elected officials on projects that will impact them.
- Research and prepare written documents including policy papers and outreach materials.
- Manage small staff on projects, delegate tasks and direct development of work deliverables.
- Create and manage databases.
- Develop new business opportunities through writing proposals, networking and developing enterprising new service offerings.
Small Firm with Big Reputation and Success on Large Projects
Portfolio Associates, Inc., a professional services consulting firm in Center City Philadelphia, is seeking to hire a Manger of Planning and Community Engagement. Established in 1969, Portfolio Associates provides community engagement and communications support services to public, private and non-profit sector clients involved in urban and/or social policy & development in the Philadelphia region and beyond. Clients include the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) and small, non-profit community based organizations, among others.