To Apply Click Here: Assistant Planner
The City of Oxnard's Development Services Department is seeking a Assistant Planner with strong technical knowledge and a collaborative and customer service oriented approach to their work to be part of the Planning team. This individual must be comfortable processing current and advanced planning projects from submittal through environmental review, public hearing, plan check and final inspection. The ideal candidate will demonstrates a full understanding of all applicable policies, procedures and work methods associated with assigned duties. This position will be responsible for residential, industrial and commercial planning projects. This classification is distinguished from the next higher classification of Associate Planner by the performance of less complex projects.
- Performs the full array of duties assigned to classes in the planning series including assisting the public at the counter, explaining and interpreting zoning and planning regulations, making recommendations for zoning changes, and handling public information calls.
- Demonstrates a full understanding of applicable policies, procedures and work methods associated with assigned duties.
- Reviews, approves and processes simple and complex residential, industrial and commercial projects through the planning process including: subdivision maps, lot line adjustments/mergers, special use permits, zone changes, general plan and specific plan amendments, and other administrative and/or discretionary application requests.
- Processes temporary use permits, home occupation permits, and zone clearance applications.
- Uses personal computer and specialized permit processing systems to prepare correspondence, council agenda items, staff reports, resolutions, and other specialized documents.
- Represents the City at inter-departmental (e.g. Development Advisory Committee), neighborhood meetings (e.g. Community Workshop), and public hearings (e.g. Planning Commission and/or City Council).
- Accepts project application submittals; assesses and collects fees.
- Updates public information handouts, zoning and other types of maps and project lists.
- Prepares initial studies, negative declarations (ND's) and mitigated negative declarations (MND's), and all documents related to environmental reviews. Work with consultants to review and prepare EIR's and manages consultant contracts.
- Coordinates with other programs and departments who are involved with project review and permit processing.
- Works with contractors during the construction process through the final inspections.
- Responds to questions and concerns from the general public; provides information as is appropriate and resolves complaints.
- Reviews critiques (aesthetic and technical) and approves civil and architectural blueprints for planning and building permits.
- One (1) year of directly related experience as a Planner.
- A Bachelor's degree in urban or regional planning, architecture, landscape architecture, or a related field considered useful in City planning.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid unrestricted class C California driver's license.
- Additional certifications, licenses, endorsements and training may be required, depending on assignment. You may be required to submit documented proof of these requirements.