Principal Urban Designer
Dunedin is an amazing place to live and work, and if you were to ask anyone living here, they’ll tell you that there’s something indescribably special about our city. It’s small enough to feel like you’re part of a community, but big enough to ensure that there’s always something going on. From the great outdoors to arts, culture and education, all within 10 minutes of the city centre. Dunedin has so much to offer, so why not come and feel just how special it is?
The Dunedin City Council is seeking an experienced Urban Designer to be the DCC’s Urban Design Champion and provide technical leadership for the DCC’s urban designers and landscape architects, who are part of the DCC City Development team. The team is involved with a wide range of projects, including both amenity improvement projects and other public space design work, as well as Resource Management Act policy development and providing expert advice on resource consents.
Applicants for this role must have:
- a relevant urban design or landscape architecture degree and 5 years’ experience as an Urban Designer or Landscape Architect, including significant experience with public space design
- excellent relationship management skills and the ability to work successfully with a range of stakeholders, including councillors, other DCC staff, key community stakeholders, customers and contractors, including on complex and at times, contentious projects
- experience supervising and/or providing peer review to other designers
- excellent written and verbal communication skills, and preferably experience presenting evidence at RMA hearings.
You will also possess:
- the ability to work within a complex organisation, such as a local authority
- critical thinking skills and an openness to learning, with motivation to find the best, collaborative design solutions for Dunedin’s public realm
- the ability to lead consultation on design projects, as well as be part of a team that oversees implementation
- the ability to translate complex information into a clear direction or approach
- a positive ‘can-do’ attitude and initiative, drive, confidence and a willingness to make a difference
- experience or familiarity with internationally applauded urban design approaches is desirable.
If you are eager to be part of a collaborative team, you possess the expertise and skills we are looking for, and you are excited about helping Dunedin to be one of the “World’s Great Small Cities”, we look forward to hearing from you.
Applications close Friday 22nd June 2018.
To find out more about this exciting opportunity and to apply visit our website: