WANTED: An amazing Planning Tech who loves all things planning, enjoys working in a collaborative team environment, and is excited to grow their career within our dynamic Planning Department.
Are you hungry to produce great work in the areas of planning, zoning, mapmaking, and conducting research? Do you enjoy a fast-paced environment that allows you to be a facilitator of planning information? Then APPLY today and continue to develop your planning skillset with the City of Napa, benefiting not only the employees of the organization but the community we serve!
Show us what you're made of with your record of proven success in:
- Planning Technical Knowledge and Skill - knowledge of principles and practices of planning; keeping up with current developments and trends in planning.
- Customer Focus - Commitment to public service to provide an experience that satisfies both internal and external customers.
- Managing Relationships - Meeting the personal needs of individuals to build trust, encourage two-way communication, and strengthen relationships.
- Work Standards - Setting high standards of performance for self; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments.
- Applied Learning - Assimilating and applying new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Quality Orientation - Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how detailed; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
For a full, detailed job description, click here.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Processes applications such as lot line adjustments, sign permits, use permit extensions, certificates of compliancy and business license applications; sets up exhibits, materials and equipment needed for public session presentations and other meetings.
2. Prepares transparencies, maps, simple display graphics (including maps), materials and equipment needed for public hearings and other meetings.
3. Conducts field studies in support of revisions of the General Plan or municipal code.
4. Performs data entry for the City's land use data base.
5. Assists in preparing development activity reports and maps with City data base.
6. Responds to public inquiries by explaining zoning and other planning regulations and requirements.
7. Performs field inspections, delivers agenda materials and performs other courier tasks as needed.
A typical way to obtain the requisite knowledge and abilities would be:
Education and Experience: Any combination of education, training and/or experience which demonstrates possession of and competency in requisite knowledge, skills and abilities. Employment experience in a planning, architecture, engineering or related business is desirable. Experience in graphic arts/drafting may be highly desirable depending on the position.
Knowledge of: Drafting and graphic presentation methods and techniques; working knowledge of planning procedures, terms, operations and methods; related computer software and hardware equipment.
Ability to: Understand legal property descriptions and maps; use a wide variety of drafting and graphic arts production instruments and materials; compile maps and exhibits from graphic, written and oral information sources; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships; demonstrate tact and diplomacy; prepare narrative reports; maintain accurate records and document actions taken; organize and prioritize work assignments; make arithmetical calculations; research regulations, procedures and/or technical reference materials; recognize and respect limit of authority and responsibility; work effectively with others who have objectives counter to assigned role.
Special Requirements: Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Class C California Driver's License may be required.
Supplemental Information: Independent travel is required.